twenty eight

Seth pat Marina's ass before she walked out to explain her actions to the Brooklyn crowd. Her title sat wrapped around her waist as she entered the ring. The fan reception was mixed, but she looked around as her theme faded out. She noticed how polarizing her character had become when a positive poster and a negative poster of hers were sat right next to each other a few rows behind the announce table. Marina lifted the mic to her lips and smiled.

"I bet you weren't expecting to see me at SummerSlam last night, Brooklyn," she chuckled as the crowd reacted to what she was saying, "I wasn't expecting it either. I would have loved to continue my dominant title reign at the greatest party of the summer, but no," her head shook as the crowd booed, "exactly, I know how much you want to see me wrestle every week, but sometimes you have to take a step back and let nature take its course."

A highlight reel of the women's match played on the titan tron.

"I, of course, have my eyes on the winners of that battle last night," Marina leaned to the side as she scrunched her face up, "but then I remembered something. Nikki Bella has not been given her rematch for her lost title."

Marina adjusted the title around her waist.

"Sometimes," she cleared her throat, "you have to do what's best for your own business and get your hands dirty. That, ladies and gentlemen and all in between, is why I attacked John Cena last night. I had no doubt in my mind that Seth Rollins could beat John Cena last night," she paused, waiting for the crowd to die down, "my motive was to slide in, drive the chair into Cena's gut, and anger Nikki Bella just enough that she would come out here tonight, guns-a-blazing. So, Nikki," she pivoted to the ramp, "come on out and let's continue this conversation."

Marina walked up to the ropes, leaning against them as she awaited the arrival of her next challenger. You Can Look (But You Can't Touch) played and a satisfied smile appeared on Marina's face. Team Bella walked out with Nikki in the middle, holding a microphone as the theme faded. The women let the crowd settle before they continued.

"Marina," Nikki addressed the champ as the trio slowly made their way to the ring, "if you wanted to get my attention, why didn't you interrupt the triple threat we had last night? Why didn't you attack me? Why did you wait to attack my man?"

"I want to make sure that you're in the best shape for our eventual rematch," she smiled, running her tongue along her top teeth, "I know your neck has been better and, honestly," she watched them enter the ring, "in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. I'm not challenging Brie or Foxy, no, I'm offering you a chance to get your title back. I have made it pretty clear that I don't always play by the rules, but in this instance," she took a step towards them, "the rules sound like the better option."

"I will take you up on your offer," Nikki smiled, stepping towards Marina, "but if you touch my man again, you'll regret it

"I will take you up on your offer," Nikki smiled, stepping towards Marina, "but if you touch my man again, you'll regret it."

Marina smiled into an obnoxious laugh, "if that's what you're worried about when it comes to me, then I highly suggest sorting out your priorities before Night of Champions," Nikki looked Marina straight in the eyes and bowed her head slightly, giving her the go ahead, "because I didn't get into this business to fight over a man. I happen to have one wrapped around my finger already, but my goal when coming out here every week is to entertain."

"That's funny because," Nikki started talking as Brie sent a proud nod Marina's way, "lately you've been behind the announce table. If you claim to come out here to entertain every week, then why not have a match right now."

"Pick your favorite lackey," Marina pointed at Brie then Alicia, "I've beat them both before."

Nikki turned to discuss things with the two women in her faction. Marina cracked her knuckles while she waited for them to turn back to her. The one thing that Marina wanted was a storyline that made sense and this one made sense to her. There was a backstory that people could follow and it wasn't just a random match that she was getting at a pay-per-view. Nikki turned back around and Brie stepped forward. Marina nodded while smiling. 

"Get the hell outta my ring and let's get this going," she threw the microphone out of the ring as she stepped up to the younger twin.

The show went to commercial as a referee ran down. She handed her title to the ref before the bell rang. The two women locked up. Marina fell to her knees, stunning the wife of Daniel Bryan. Brie stumbled back a bit while Marina backed herself into the corner. When Brie stabilized herself, Marina took advantage by hitting her with a running hurricanrana. Marina stood on her knees, scrunching her face up in disgust at how easy the match was going. While she gloated, Brie hit her with a running dropkick and pinned her for a two count. 

"C'mon Brie!"

Brie lifted Marina to her knees and set up for the Yes! kicks. Marina ducked under the first kick and rolled onto her feet, hitting Brie with a codebreaker. She kipped up, quickly climbing to the top rope and hitting her again with a frog splash for the victory. The match was short because they made it short. Their match was supposed to last ten minutes, but they fought for six. Marina quickly grabbed her title before rolling out of the ring to avoid an ambush. She held the title above her head as she walked backwards up the ramp to gorilla. When she walked into gorilla, Seth was standing at the exit. Marina looked Vince dead in the eyes before she spoke.

"Gave the guys four extra minutes for you!"

She blew a kiss his way as she walked out of gorilla. Seth and Hunter covered their proud smiles as they made eye contact. He shrugged before following his girlfriend out of gorilla. Marina looked back to see him running to catch up with her and in that moment, she knew he would forever be on her side. She stopped in her tracks and he caught up with her. He wore a black suit for Sting's return later in the night. His arm wrapped around her waist as he squeezed her body close to his. 

"You're so badass," he kissed the top of her head as they made their way to catering.

They sat down at a table and Marina finally spoke up, "why didn't you stay in gorilla?"

He looked at her with furrowed brows, "I'm not gonna sit in there after my girl put her career on the line for what she believes in."

"Your girl?"

"Fuck yeah, my girl," he held her hand in his as their eyes met, "I am all in, bud. You are risking your dream for the women in that locker room and I would be a fool if I wasn't proud of you for doing so."

A sincere and grateful smile crept onto her face. That was the answer she wanted to hear when she saw him running after her. He axed every doubt she had in her mind about him with those few sentences. Seth tucked her hair behind her ear as he smiled at her. Their foreheads met as he nodded. Marina squeezed his hand, telling him that she was all in too.