23 | "I miss mommy"

"Here's my number... and Val's and Will's and Ethan and Grayson's and Kasey's number... and you know who to call in emergencies...You know what? I'll give you 911's number anyway I-"

"Logan"

His gaze flicked towards me, his eyes filled with worry and concern. It was cute that Logan was over protective of Beth, but I could assure him that everything would be all right.

"We'll be fine," I told him, he nodded yet he still looked anxious as ever,

Beth walked over to him and gave him a tight hug, "I'll be okay, Lexie is looking after me" she said while smiling brightly up at him.

"I'll call you if anything happens, and tell everyone I say hi" I told him as he walked towards the front door,

"Bye Logie!" Beth called after him.

As soon as he left and locked the door Beth turned around to look at me, she had a bright smile spread across her face,

"Wanna play pretend?" she asked me excitedly,

"Sure" I answered returning the smile,

"Great! I'll play the princess and you'll be the evil witch!"

Oh great.

***

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

"SpongeBob SquarePants!" Beth squealed excitedly as I poured pasta in her bowl and some in mine.

The SpongeBob theme song played from the tablet in front of Beth as we sat on the kitchen island on the bar stools.

After finishing dinner Beth plopped down on the couch staring at me,

"You're really pretty you know that Lexie?"

I smiled at her; she was so adorable, "Thanks Beth"

"But not as pretty as me" she said and I laughed in response,

She was Logan's sister after all.

Suddenly she yawned loudly and I mentally fist pumped, she was finally tired. I didn't know how much longer I could've gone for, she had more energy than me.

"I think it's time for bed" I said smiling warmly as her and she nodded as her eye lids drooped, she lifted her arms up signalling me to carry her and who could say no to that face?

I picked her up gently, her head rested on my shoulder with her arms wrapped around my neck.

I carried her up the stairs and walked towards the bright pink door that stood out between the other white ones.

I laid her down on her bed, her room was coloured pink and was filled with stuffed animals and white furniture.

My five-year-old self would've been so jealous, damn.

"Lexie?" Beth said just as I was about to tuck her in, she was already in her pyjamas.

"Yeah?"

"I miss mommy"

It was then I realised I had never seen Logan's parents around the house. That one time in the hospital I had seen Logan's father, but never his mother.

"Where's mommy, Beth?" I asked her,

"Logie says she's up there" she pointed to the sky, "And right here" she pointed to her heart, "But I miss her," she said frowning.

My heart broke for Beth, I didn't know what happened to Logan's mother but I knew what it felt to lose parents and it was heartbreaking to see such a young girl like Beth go through that.

I sat down on the edge of her bed and she looked up at the ceiling as if she was searching for something, "You know I miss my mommy and daddy too but you know what? She's always watching out for you, whenever you need her she'll always be there to look after you even if you can't see her. That's one of the perks of having her right here," I told her pointing to my heart.

"I bet she's thinking about you right now" I said and she flashed a smile,

"Will you stay with me Lexie?" she asked me and I nodded.

"Of course".

***

I woke up to the front door rattling.

I shot up off the bed, realising I was still in Beth's room.

The door rattled again and the the thought that there could be someone trying to break in seemed to stand out amongst the others.

I picked up a large stuffed teddy bear because I couldn't find anything that could pose as a weapon right now,

I guess I could use this as a shield?

Yeah good one Alex, a murderer breaks into the house with a knife and you use a life sized teddy bear to fight them off.

Real smart.

I crept down the stairs as silently as I could, remembering to shut Beth's door just in case,

I walked downstairs and next to the doorframe. I was situated next to the door so when the door opened I could attack.

It was pretty late in the night and I wasn't taking any chances.

My heart pounded in my chest as I waited, my hands got sweaty and in the back of my mind a distant memory replayed over and over, one I didn't want to revisit.

I took a deep breath to clear my mind and focus on actually protecting myself and Beth if it came down to it.

The door swung open and before I had a chance to see who the person was I used the stuffed teddy bear to hit them over the head with it, I was using all my strength and despite that it didn't really seem like I was affecting them.

"Are you done?" Logan's familiar voice came muffled from the bear after I'd used all my energy trying to attack him.

"Not just yet" I said before I set the teddy bear to the side and started hitting him in the chest.

"You asshole I thought we were going to die" I whisper-yelled at him, he grabbed my wrists and stifled his laugh,

"And you tried to protect yourself with a stuffed bear?"

"Yeah well, Beth's room doesn't have a very large selection of weapons".

***

So FWTE just reached 11k reads!!

You guys are amazing oh my god  <3

I was wondering what TV shows you guys like to watch? 

Please vote, comments and share,

Sincerely, Sia x