42 | The explanation

I felt so tired. 

Like I had no energy to move or will to escape.

Like the world had drained me of everything I had.

So as I lay on the floor of a room in the warehouse I had given up on figuring out plans of leaving in my head and having hope that someone would save me.

Suddenly the metal door swung open and a man I didn't recognise threw Beth roughly to the ground of the floor and sliding two slices of bread on a plate.

Beth's eyes were bloodshot and she had a grazed knee but other than that she looked okay.

Then it was like all that hope that was gone had come back, I had Beth to look out for now. It wasn't just me anymore. I had to get us out of here.

The door slammed shut and locked behind it.

"Beth!" I called, slowly lifting myself off the floor but stumbling because of how weak I really was.

Beth came running towards me, her eyes full of unshed tears as she engulfed my legs into a hug.

I lifted her into my arms and she clung to me, too afraid to let go.

She must've been so terrified.

I hugged her back tightly as I slid back down to the floor, my legs were too shaky to support myself and I couldn't bear to hold Beth up either.

I pulled away from her and it broke my heart to see her so scared, I assessed her again,

"Did they hurt you?" I asked her and she showed me her grazed elbow and knee.

I hugged her tightly again and we remained like that for a while until we were ready to let go.

"A-Are we going to be o-okay?" she asked me in a small voice,

"Yeah of course we are" I said, but it felt a lot more like I was trying to reassure myself.

A few minutes later Beth sat beside me, hungrily eating a slice of bread.

I slid her my slice too and she looked at me oddly,

"You're not hungry?" she questioned and I shook my head, she took it from me unsurely before eating both slices.

I don't know how long we were sitting there before the door opened again,

"My chest hurts" Beth told me after a while as she scooted closer to me, she leaned her head against my shoulder and I wrapped her in my arms.

"I'm sorry," I told her because I couldn't do anything more than to just sit here next to her and hope for the best,

Suddenly the door opened and three people came walking in.

Anna, Elliot and Logan's father.

What?

"Daddy?" Beth said quietly from beside me, her eyes looked fearful of the man in front of her who had a cigarette in between his lips as he blew out a puff of smoke.

"Beth" he said to her before turning back to me,

"She needs medical attention" I told them but they looked as if they didn't care, "Why aren't you doing anything?" I demanded.

Logan's dad sighed loudly, "Anna, give Beth her medicine will you?" Anna nodded before taking Beth's arm and roughly pulling her out of the room.

I was on edge all the while,