Chapter 36

(Eva's Pov)

        "Focus."

          "I am."

      "Not focused enough."

        "I'm trying mom." Max said as he sighed.

         We had been training for awhile now and it was taking a lot out of Max.

       "I know." I said as I sat on the ground with him.

        "Can we take a break?"

      I nodded my head in approval at him and watched as he got up and ran over to the other little kids in the pack.

      We had been practicing spells all morning but he can't seem to manage to keep his powers in check.

      The spells are back firing and he only gets hurt when they don't work.

        Frustration takes over as I think about his future.

     Questions run through my mind and yet no answers follow behind.

      "If you think any harder you'll get permanent lines on your forehead."

      Natalia says as she sits down next to me.

        It took Natalia about an hour after we left before she realized she made a mistake.

        It took her awhile to sort out some things with her mate but Jordan came around and left Nates pack to join mines.

           He's training with Michael and Brian and I can only hope they are growing easy on him.

        "Max can't seem to focus properly."

"He's only a kid, you just got to give him some time."

"We don't have time."

"Yes we do. Look, you don't know when the rogues are going to strike again. Don't stress yourself over something you can't control."

"This is something I can control."

"Oh yea? Says who?" Natalia said raising an eyebrow at me.

"This is not a joking matter Natalia. The longer he has no control over his powers the bigger the chance that he's at risk."

  "How do you even know HE wants him?"

  My jaws clench at the thought of Jo.

  "HE is not the one I'm worried about. It is the council that concerns me."

    I look over at my son and wonder about the life he will live.

     "Well the council can kiss my ass cause if they want to get to him they're going to have to get through me and the rest of the pack first." she says with nothing but pride leaking from her voice.

     She stands up and stretches as she scans the training field.

   "He is in the left field with Ox."

    Natalia's head snaps towards me and her mouth almost hits the floor.

   "With Ox!? WHY?" she all but screams.

   "Ox is one of the toughest fighters, and he did train you. If I'm going to allow an outsider into our pack I must know where he stands first."

   "Why didn't you ask me? I could have told you that."

   "Your answer who have been biased. I need complete honesty." I replied.