Chapter 40

(Braxton POV)

Nothing seemed to make sense. She was hiding something and everyone knew it.

We all had arrived back at my territory and it has been nothing but silence.

There were so many secrets, so many lies that were hiding behind those grey mesmerizing eyes. But what were they?

I have people all over this world who are my eyes and ears and yet, she made me feel like I was blind and deaf.

Frustration hit me as I sat at my desk, wondering what untold truth she's holding back from us.

But that wasn't the only thing that preoccupied my mind. It was our kiss.

That one kiss. I thought back to how her lips tasted, the aroma of strawberries that filled my lungs when I inhaled her amazing scent.

Her scent that leaked her true emotions.

I took her by surprise, but she was happy until she wasn't.

The kiss was needy like she's been wanting to do this for some time now.

Before she was taken I knew she wanted to. I knew she wanted me. But now? It was like she was saying goodbye.

It was rushed, needy, exciting in more than one way but then it turned bitter. She was hurt, scared even.

The kiss in the beginning was like two teenagers who've never been kissed before and it ended as if she was kissing a lemon.... sour.

I admit , the kiss was a false kiss. Of course a part of me mainly my wolf wanted to see what she tasted like but the Alpha in me wanted to know what she was hiding and I got what I needed.

For Alphas its easier for us to tell who is and isn't lying. But with Evangeline she wasn't a normal she wolf, she was different. She is different.

She was holding back, she was lying, she has secrets. But if we could help I don't see why she wouldn't tell me. Why she wouldn't tell her brothers at least.

I admit they are at fault for what they've done but I don't think she should blame them for the rest of her life.

But its like she's forcing this hatred on them for no apparent reason other than to spite them. Personally, I don't mind.

They are way to invested in her well being even when they don't need to be.

That is why she has me. That is why I will be the one she tells the truth too.

I growled externally because I had no idea how to go about that.

I could pursued her that I am indeed on her side and that I do care about her but is that really the way to go? To lie to my mate?

Hm. My mate.

I never really thought about her like that. I relish the idea of me being alone and staying a true, strong Alpha... but maybe my father is right. Maybe by having her by my side I can be stronger and even a better Alpha than before.

"Send my father up to my office."

"Yes, Alpha."

Closing the mind link, I waited for my father to come up to my office.

I heard his knock but I smelled him the minute his foot touched the ground floor that I was on.

"Enter."

"You were looking for me?" My father said as he sat down looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"I am in need of your ... assistance." I said as I got up and buttoned up my suit.