My Baseball Boy

I groaned as Bill drove over another bump in the road again, leaning my head against the cool window.  We've been driving for two hours without a break, and I'm starting to feel claustrophobic with my brother being so close and all.  My legs are cramping and my bum is sore after sitting in the seat obediently.

My younger brother, Scott Smalls, or Scotty, is currently gazing down at his hands quietly.  Unlike me, Scotty doesn't have a loud mouth and keeps his thoughts to himself.  He only put his thoughts or opinions in if he is asked to or if it's with our mother.

After dad died Scotty shriveled himself into an even smaller shell, his already awkward self not improving in the slightest.  As he turned to grades and making mom happy, I managed to get myself into trouble and unfortunate events: like getting caught with a pack of bubblegum in my bra that somehow slipped out as I walked past the cashier.  Luckily for my mom that's how she met Bill.  She came to get me, he was shopping for fishing supplies, and they clicked.  Even if Bill is the most boring person I've ever met.

Now they're married and couldn't be any happier.  If living with a new "dad" figure in the house isn't difficult enough, Bill managed to land himself a transfer from his old job.  That is why we're stuck in this confided car.

"Look, Jaylynn and Scott, we're here!" Mother cheered happily, sharing a smile with Bill.  Plastering a fake smile on my face, I looked at the house as we pulled in.  It's quite small and very pink. 

"It's your favorite color," I told mom, and she nodded and smiled at me.  My mother is very girly with her pristine dresses and colorful makeup.  We didn't bond very well with some things, with my tomboy style, but we've learned from our mistakes.

As we were hauling in boxes into our designated rooms, Scotty ran up to me and told me he may have found a new friend already.  "Well what's his name?" I asked, tightening my medium brown hair into a short ponytail.

Scotty frowned at me before saying, "I, I don't actually know.  He just nodded at me, but isn't that a good sign?"

I smiled, "You're so adorable.  Now get out before I make you." I went back to folding my jeans.

*Next Day Blup-Blup*

The minty-fresh toothpaste buzzed inside my mouth as I scrubbed my teeth while looking in the mirror.  After waking up from my annoying alarm clock I decided to find my missing boxes that held my baseball equipment and some trophies.  Rinsing with cold water, I smiled at myself in the mirror.

My brown hair is left down and is long enough to hide the front pocket of my light blue shirt.  My shirt is messily tucked into my knee length shorts, and a bulky brown belt is fastened around my waist.  I felt like just walking around town today, maybe find some park or fields.  Something to make me productive and less bored.

"Mom!" I called, walking into my new bedroom.  The walls are a light orange and my white furniture made everything so bright.  Sitting down on my bed I could hear the little taps of her heels walking down the hall.

"Yes, sweety?" She opened the door, walking over to sit by me on the bed.  She is wearing a light blue blouse and a checkered skirt, bold red lips making her freckles pop.  I brushed some hair behind my ear, cautious of how I looked in front of her.

I've always felt like I needed to live up to her expectations: perfect grades, girly outfits, cooking, baking, and becoming a version of her.  I tried my best at grades, dressed how I wanted, never go near an oven, and I'm most definitely not even close to being anything like my mother.

"Have you seen my baseball stuff?" I huffed, throwing my hands in the air and slumping, "I really want to find a new team here and join, ya know."

My mother's sweet and angelic face turned meek as she looked down at my white bedding.  Her red fingers brushing over the material thoughtfully.  "I love how baseball has turned your life around, I'm so thankful."

I nodded, an awkward smile on my face as she talked about my behavior a while ago.  "That's the past now, and I'm really happy now."

"I know dear," She nodded, giving me a tight smile that made the wrinkles under her eyes deepen.  "But baseball was meant to be temporary, something for you to set your mind on for a while.  Do you really want to continue it?"

I immediately nodded.  "Of course! It's become so much more than a hobby now, mom.  I really enjoy it." I breathed out happily, not hesitating to answer.  Baseball has influenced my life so much, to the games, the food, the practices, and the my teammates. 

"But sweets," She sighed, "Girls-" She stopped herself, sighing again before rubbing her lips together in frustration, trying to find the right words.  "It isn't very appropriate to have girls playing baseball."

"Our home town were okay with it." I chuckled, shrugging it off.  I didn't need people's approval to do what I love.

"That was because they knew you since you were born.  What I'm trying to say, is that you need to give it a break." She said.  "Find some new friends, make new impressions."

I blinked at her, "Then why don't you give up being such a bitch."

"Jaylynn!" She yelped, slapping my arm enough to make me cry out of shock.  "You're not allowed to use that language, I'm not raising you to be some hillbilly."

"But mom!" I cried out, looking at her desperately.  "You just told me to give up something I love just because people with think it's not appropriate!"

"I didn't say give up," My mother said, patting the red spot on my arm gently. "Just give it time.  When I think it's time I'll let you have your stuff back."

I stood up, shook her hand off, and scoffed.  "This is bullshit," I muttered, walking out of my room before she could hear me properly.  Walking down the main hallway I could see Scotty out on the porch through the screen door.  Curious, I walked outside and sat beside him.

My idea of walking today immediately plummeted as I realized how hot it is outside.  I groaned, feeling my underarms already heating up.  "Are you as miserable as I am?" I asked him quietly, kicking the chipping paint off of the steps.

"Are you the one that has a black eye?" Scotty asked rhetorically, groaning as he played with his childish plastic glove that he got from a present.  I looked at him with wide eyes.  Reaching up, I cupped his chin and turned him to face me.  A dark purple bruise circled his eye, making it very noticeable that he has a shiner. 

I gasped, "What happened?" No way Scotty got in a physical fight, he'd be worse than this.

He held up his now busted glove in my face, pushing my hand off of his face.  "Bill- I mean, dad, tried to teach me how to play catch.  I'm such a screw up."  I frowned, taking his glove into my own hands.  I knew Scotty wasn't blessed with strength or agility, but this is a low.

"Hey," Some kid said walking over.  I eyed him carefully, not sure what he was up to.  He has darker skin, brown hair, dark eyes, and casual clothes on.  A bat and baseball in one hand and a mitt in the other.  "I'm gonna go play some ball, we need an extra guy, do you wanna go?" He questioned, looking down at my little brother. 

Scotty looked down, trying to hide his obvious shiner. "No thanks." He said in his high-pitched voice.

"Why?  Don't you like baseball?" He asked defensively, frowning at him.  I snickered mentally, if only he knew.

"Oh yeah, butt-"

"But what?" He looks agitated at Scotty's stubbornness, and I must say he looks hot.

"My glove," Scott motioned to the childish thing in my hands, "it's busted.  See, now I can't go.  Thanks anyway."

The boy sighed and reached into his back pocket. "It's okay. I got an extra one." The mystery kid said. He threw the mitt towards Scotty. "Come on, lets go."

"Thanks, but I'm not allowed to leave the house without my sister tagging along." I smiled sweetly and sarcastically up at him, wrapping my arms around Scotty.  He pushed me away and stared up at the boy desperately.

The boy pursed his plump lips, thinking about bringing a girl to a diamond.  "Alright," He drawled, nodding hesitantly.  Scotty smiled and cheered, running into the house to tell mom.  I looked at the boy and he looked back at me.  I didn't move until Scotty came back, and when I did the boy was already walking off down the path.