Chapter 7

I gasped as I opened my eyes. I had another nightmare about losing John. Last nights was so much worse now that there was a murder related to him. I don't know if I could live with losing him. I can't lose him.

I smiled down at John, glad that he was still here, before quietly sliding out of the bed. I started boiling some water to make some tea and began pacing back and forth. This case is extremely important because it obviously has to do with John. He could be in danger.

I could solve this case but then John would be stuck in a situation where he may lose all of the people he cares about and I can't do that to him. But if I don't do anything and leave it to Scotland Yard it will take forever for them to catch the killer, if they ever do. 

I didn't know what to do. Footsteps coming up the stairs notified me of somone's approach. To heavy to be Mrs. Hudson. No cane. The only other person who ever came here was Lestrade. "What do you want?" I asked.

"We have the autopsy reports. You were right. She did bleed and he was choked." Lestrade paused and I looked over to him. "Sherlock... they were..."

"John's parents. Yeah I know. He told me yesterday."

"I really am sorry. Apparently, years ago, his parents commited suicide to get out of their financial debt. Both he and his sister took this really hard. He joined the army to help his sister out and now suddenly, years later, he finds his parents dead. For real this time. They had lied all that time."

I shook my head. People were crazy. They never seemed to care about anyone but themselves. I then realized that I would be doing the same thing if I took the case. I would enjoy it but I would be torturing John.

"We can't take this."

"What? Why?"

"Emotional connections to John. It would hurt him too much. I can't put him through that." I whispered. Lestrade nodded slowly. He was about to turn and leave when John stumbled into the room dressed in my robe. It was way too long on him but I felt a sense of pride in seeing that.

"Hey Lestrade. What's going on?" John asked.

"Nothing. He was just leaving." I said. John looked at me, then to Lestrade, then to the files in his hands. "Thanks, Gavin but I think it's time you should get going."

"It's Greg."

"What?"

"My name is Greg."

"Oh."

He was about to leave again but John stumbled over to him. "Let me see the files." he said.

"No it's okay. We have other people working on the case." Lestrade said. John stared at him and shook his head, chuckling. 

"No you don't. You came here to give us the files but Sherlock told you that we didn't want to take it no doubt because it was to hard for me." John said quickly. I was impressed with his deductions. 

"It's true." Lestrade sighed.

"Let me see the files." John repeated.

"You don't have to do this." I said quickly, knowing exactly what he was going to do.

"Yes. I do." he mumbled. He took the files from Lestrade who looked between the two of us before nodding and leaving us to it.

"You really don't have to do this. We can find someone else to take this case... we can... we can..." I traled off when John started laughing.

"Thank you Sherlock. Honestly, thank you for thinking about me but this is so much bigger than the two of us. It may hurt. I may lose everyone I used to know but I want to know why. Why did they choose me and my family? Why did they wait so long to do it? Who did it and how do they know me?"

"But we don't have to do that. Someone else can." I tried to persuade him not to do it. At this point I couldn't tell if I was doing it for him, or for me.

"You're right." he chuckled. "You're always right but you know what... if we don't do this more people will die because you know as well as I that Scotland Yard will take forever in finding the person. Too many lives could be lost at that point. But if we help... and we will help... we can get this done a lot quicker and then we can go back to planning our wedding and solving cases."

I stared at him in amazement. "What?" he asked self-consciously.

"You amaze me sometimes. You are willing to put everything aside to help out everyone, even if you get hurt in the process. God I love you." I whispered hugging him tightly.

"Of course I'm willing to help out everyone. I love you too." he said leaning up and kissing my my cheek. "I am willing to do this because it'll help the people. It will help me figure out who did it and why and most of all, because as much as you don't want to admit it, you want the case. You need it and I want you to be happy."

I chuckled as we slid down onto the couch. "And why do you want me to be happy?" I asked, smiling as I kissed him again.

"Because I, John Hamish Watson, have fallen for you hard. I love every single thing about you and making you happy, Sherlock, is the only thing I could ever wish for." he said in between kisses. Then he pulled away and open the files leaving me breathless. I chuckled and sat up to look at the files too.

There were the autopsy reports which we didn't need to look at. There were also interviews with people who last saw them. John sighed and got up to start making coffee. "Do you want some?" he asked. I hummed in response and stared down at the papers. There was nothing here. I groaned before silently sneaking up behind John and wrapping my arms around his waist.

"I love you too John." I whispered into his neck as he finished making the coffee. I grapped the cups and placed them on the counter. 

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I am teaching my fiancé how to dance." I whispered and we twirled through the dimly lit room, the only music, the thudding of our hearts.