Chapter 16

I slid my arms into the belstaff and tied the scarf around my neck. Lestrade just called, telling us he needed us at the yard. For some reason he refused to tell me the details over the phone. I sighed, tapping my foot as I waited for John to hurry up. He rushed about trying to find his things and I smiled because he looked adorable. He rushed over to me. "What about Hamish?" he asked.

"Hamish is 12, he can look after himself. Besides we shouldn't be gone too long." John sighed, knowing I was right. He turned, trying to find his shoes and I chuckled at how lost he looked.

"Dad, did you used to date Aunt Sarah?" Hamish asked. John froze and turned towards me. I bit my lip trying to hold in my laughter. That was something he could talk about. He sighed, pulling his shoes on and turning to Hamish.

"Yeah. Before your father and I got together." I handed him his jacket and he slid it on.

"Why?"

"Because we didn't know we loved each other then." John sighed. I blushed a bit and turned so he couldn't see my face. I knew that I loved John more than he could ever know. I have loved John since that first case but he didn't need to know about that.

"Father did." Hamish said. I turned towards him, eyes wide, pleading quietly that he wouldn't say anything more to John. It was embarrassing enough as it is. "Father said to me that he loved you from the moment he saw you." I inwardly sighed. Well at least now he knows.

John turned towards me, a look of shock on his face. I looked at him before turning away blushing. "We... we should get going." I said before leaving the flat quickly.

I slowly opened my eyes to find John smiling at me. "Hey... why didn't you wake me?" I asked.

"You looked tired. You needed the sleep. You should go home, have some proper rest. I'll be fine." he said and I instantly shook my head "Oh well. It was worth a try." he sighed. I grabbed his hand and smiled widely. "The doctor said I should be out of here in a day or two. I need to be careful for a bit though so I don't open the stitches." I nodded eagerly. I couldn't wait to get back home.

There was a quiet knock on the door before it opened, revealing Lestrade. "Hey." John smiled.

"Hey. How are you?"

"Better now. I should be out of here soon. Thank goodness for that." Lestrade nodded, smiling.

"What's in your hands?"

"I-it's nothing. It could wait. Don't want to ruin the moment." he choked out. I looked at John worriedly.

"What happened?"

"I-it's Mike."

"What happened?" John repeated.

Lestrade sighed. He walked towards me. "He was found dead in his bathroom this morning. No signs of a break-in. Sherlock... we're stumped. We could use the help." I shook my head. I refused to leave John's side.

"Sherlock. You should go."

"And leave you... no way." I said shaking my head again.

"You need this. You get antsy and bored and we all know how much you hate hospitals. You need to go out and do something productive." I was still shaking my head. "Sherlock. I'll be fine. Send someone in. Hell send in Mycroft so they can call you if something happens but you need to go." I sighed because he was right. As much as I wanted to stay by his side, I was getting antsy.

"Fine." I mumbled.

"Let me call Mycroft." Lestrade said, stepping out of the room. A few minutes later Mycroft was sitting in the chair and looking ridiculously bored.