Chapter 9

The rain slid down the windows as I started to doze off on the couch, waiting for Sherlock to come home. The door opened and my eyes snapped wide open. "It's about time that you..." I trailed off.

Lestrade stood at the door, a worried expression on his face. "What's going on?" I asked, especially when I noticed who was behind him. Mycroft stood completely still and I knew that something serious was going on.

"Please have a seat." I muttered.

"We won't be here long." Mycroft ensured. 

"Please. What's going on?" I asked, already fearing that I knew the answer.

"John... it's Sherlock, he never made it to the Yard earlier... he got..." Lestrade trailed off.

"He was kidnapped." Mycroft finished quickly. 

"What?" I asked, my mind struggling to believe what I just heard. 

"Please don't make me repeat it." Mycroft said sadly. I fell back against the couch, my vision blurring as tears threatened to pour out. I struggled to breathe. I couldn't lose him. I cared about him too much. He was everything to me and losing him would kill me.

"W...who? Do you know?" I asked quietly. Mycroft looked up at me sympathetically and I thought I must have been going crazy.

"John..." Lestrade said and I could tell that I really wasn't going to like this answer. 

"Please just tell me."

"Mary. Mary Morstan." I couldn't take it anymore. Tears spilled out of my eyes as I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. She wasn't just taking him and I knew that it was going to be far worse.

"We have to find them. Lestrade. We have to. I can't lose him too. Please." I begged. Lestrade nodded in understanding. 

Days of searching and solving puzzles. I knew that Sherlock would hold out as long as he could but I didn't know how much longer he would last with her. I was slowly losing my mind.

"We found him let's go." Lestrade yelled. I grabbed my coat and took off after him. I had to find him because I would lose him for real this time and I couldn't go through that again, especially if I knew for sure he would never come back.

I have no idea where we went because I was to focused on Sherlock to pay any attention to anything. Once we arrived Lestrade lead us down a long hallway. There was a loud grunt in pain. I rushed forward and found myself staring at Sherlock, head hanging, tied to a wall, blood dripping everywhere.

I rushed forward, terrified that he was dead. "Don't... take another step." Mary said emerging from the shadows. She smirked as my eyes widened in fear. She stalked towards Sherlock and grabbed him by the hair, yanking his head up. He grunted and despite the situation, I sighed in relief because he was still alive.

"John?" he mumbled, eyes full of tears. "You shouldn't... be here." he rasped. 

"Shut it!" Mary yelled pushing his head back so that it hit the wall with so much force that he groaned loudly and the wall cracked behind him.

"Why... why are you doing this?" I asked as she untied Sherlock. Her crumpled to the floor and she nodded towards him. I ran over to him, grabbing his head and brushing the curls from his forehead. "Why?" I asked again.

"Because he was dead John. I gave you a choice. Him or me and you chose the dead person. I loved you with every fiber of my being and you picked the dead man. You left and took my heart with you. Then I found out that he was actually alive and it was too good to be true. Oh John gets his Sherlock back. The love of his freakin life and I'm still stuck, alone, at a coffee shop. Then I thought, if he was gone and you finally got over it, maybe I could get you back but waiting for his death would take too long."

I glared at her. "I hate you." I whispered. She chuckled and nodded again. A person grabbed my arms and pinned them behind my back, dragging me away from Sherlock. I struggled against the man's embrace but all that resulted in was him tightening his grip on my arms. She scrambled over to him, a wicked smile on her face.

"You see, there was no way that I could be happy if he was still alive." Sherlock's eyes widened and I realized just how scared he was. I realized just how real this was because if Sherlock was scared he was about to die, then there was no way he would get out of this.

"Please. Let him go." I begged.

"You know I can't do that."

"It's okay John..." Sherlock whispered. I shook my head violently.

"No. No it's not." I choked.

"You're right John. It's not going to be okay for you." Mary chuckled before plunging the blade down. Sherlock gasped and blood pooled around him. I let out a scream so loud and painful that I ripped my throat raw.

Lestrade and Mycroft burst into the room. Where the hell where they two freakin minutes ago? Mycroft saw me and he instantly knew what happened. Lestrade grabbed Mary and took her with him as Mycroft awkwardly hugged me.

No words needed to be said between us. We were both so broken but I was afraid if I opened my mouth that I would scream again and I wouldn't stop crying. It was real this time. I actually saw it happen. There was no way he could have faked this.

"John!" Sherlock yelled, shaking me violently. Tears were sliding down my face so fast that he couldn't wipe them away. "It's okay. Everything's okay. I'm here right now." he whispered. I hugged him, glad that it was just a nightmare.

"I'm sorry." I whispered and he shook his head as he leaned down and kissed my forehead. 

"Do you want a cup of tea?" he asked. I nodded and silently got up. He started making a cup of tea as I dressed. I sat down on the couch, reading the paper, and occassionally sipping my tea. 

After making sure I was okay, Sherlock went back to the microscope and began studying the locket. He mumbled something and my head shot up. I'm not sure I heard that correctly. "What did you say?" I asked.

"Nothing... Hey come here a moment would you?" he asked. I furrowed my brows in confusion. He never asked me to come over unless he was asking for his phone. "What do you see?" he asked.

I looked through the microscope and read the tiny engraving on the locket. 'Him or me? M' 

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat and took a step back, schooling my features. "What does it mean?" I asked, hoping I sounded curious. Why would she be coming back now? She didn't say anything after that night, up until now. 

"You know. Who is M?" he asked, slightly hurt that I tried lying to him. I took a deep breath.

"Mary Morstan. After you... you know... I met a girl. We went on a few dates and had a genuinely good time but I couldn't move on. It hurt too much. She eventually gave me a decision. 'Choose. me or Sherlock. But if you choose Sherlock, we are through.' I couldn't move on and in the end I chose you. I always choose you. I loved you and I couldn't forget that. So she was angry. What I don't understand is why she showed up now after all that time."

Sherlock studied me for a moment. He looked both upset and really happy at the same time. I chuckled. "What?"

"I don't know whether to be upset that you tried to move on with another person or be happy that you loved me and chose me. Sorry." he chuckled.

"No. No. Don't be. I'm happy I chose you too because we probably wouldn't be here right now." I smiled as I stalked towards him. 

"I suppose we wouldn't." he said, lowering his voice. "And I wouldn't be able to do this." he chuckled as he pulled me down on top of him as we fell to the couch.  "Or this." he whispered as he stroked my face lovingly. "And I most definitely wouldn't be able to do this." he whispered pulling me down and kissing me. 

When we pulled apart for a breath, I chuckled. "You definitely wouldn't have been able to do that. Thankfully you can and I can tell you just how much I love you." I whispered leaning down to kiss him again. "I love you." I whispered before pressing my lips to his and feeling him smile as I did so. 

This moment was perfect and I couldn't be happier and the one person who made it all worth it was the man beneath me. The man who was my fiancé and soon to be husband. I finally found what I was looking for and I couldn't wish for anything more.