Harry Potter x Reader: Don't Forget to Write

08/12/20

*Harry's POV*

"Wait so you're a wizard?" She questioned swinging back and forth on the swing. "So can you do magic and stuff like that?" She wasn't meeting my eye and I could tell she was thinking about something but I wasn't sure what.

"Yeah," I nodded and looked over at her to gaze her reaction. Her expression didn't change so I couldn't tell what she was thinking which was weird cause we could always tell what the other was thinking based off their facial expressions. "But I can't right now. I'd get in trouble. A lot of trouble since I'm underaged."

"Oh." Was all she said looking down at her black high top Converses kicking up some of the dirt. I had known (y/n) for as long as I could remember. She lived a couple of houses down the street from me and I could always find her sitting at this park reading, drawing, listening to music, or just thinking. She preferred to be out here than back at home because of some issues that she didn't like to discuss.

Just about everyday at the same time we would meet here and just talk about our day until the streetlights started to come on and I had to get back before the Dursleys would lock me out for the night. It actually has happened a couple of times. I just ended up sleeping in (y/n)'s sister bed since she was away at college.

(y/n) and I did meet out here every afternoon up until the point when I started attending Hogwarts. So for the past 5 years she had no idea where I went during the school year. I told her that I was sent to a boarding school because the Dursleys didn't want to deal with me. I didn't want to scare (y/n) off my by abnormality. She was the only person I could talk to when I wasn't at school. I thought about sending her letters, but the Durselys were bound to notice the owls flying around our neighborhood.

"But I can start writing you letters when I'm away." I pointed out hoping that it would put her in a better mood, "you would get them from an owl." At this point, I could care less what they had to think about us.

"An owl." She giggled turning to look towards me. Her eyes were big and childlike; filled with wonder. I think the better mood was starting come on. "Why an owl?"

"I'm honestly not sure." I hadn't ever thought about why wizards used owl. From what I gathered it was because they were a lot more efficient than mailing a letter.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier Harry? For the past five years you just acted like you went to some normal boarding school, but this is different. I thought we could tell each other everything."

"Of course we can (y/n)," I took her smaller hands in mine, "I just didn't want to lose the only friend I had back here with the Dursleys. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have anyone to talk to." (y/n) just nodded and stood up brushing her hands off on her jeans.

"I think I should head back home and I think you should too. The street light are starting to come on now." I gave her a hug and began heading home. Before I lost the confidence that I had, I called (y/n). She turned around waiting for what I had to say.

"Why don't you come to London with me to the train station the day I'm leaving for school."

"Yeah okay." She grinned, "that would be nice."

"You don't think your parents would care?" I didn't want to cause any trouble because as soon as her parents realized they were missing, they were going straight to the Dursleys.

"No. They won't notice if I'm gone a couple of hours. It'll be fine Harry." She shrugged and pointed towards my house. I could see Dudley's fat face peaking through the window. His squinty little eyes were watching our every move.