Severus Snape x Reader: The New Potions Master

07/18/20

*This is set driving the Half Blood Prince (6th Year) so for the sake of this, just pretend that Professor Slughorn isn't the Potions professor*

"Hmph. You're not exactly what I was expecting." The old Potion's master was standing in the doorway of the new Potion professor's office. He was leaning against the frame with this sort of amused look on his face. She was not what he was expecting at all.

"Pardon me?" She turned away from whatever she was writing in and eyed the dark haired professor standing in her doorway.

She was more beautiful than he could have imagined. Her photo had been plastered on many of the most recent Potions books that had been published. Those photos didn't do any justice to seeing her in real life.

"I'm very well qualified for this position if that's what you're proposing professor."

"No, I'm not questioning your qualification at all." Snape raised an eyebrow at the very young professor.

She couldn't have been a day older than 28 and here she was taking his position as the Potions professor while he moved over to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts.

"I've read many of your articles and books Miss (l/n) and I am very impressed by your work. The only one that I know that could perfectly replicate some of those complicated potions are myself."

"Thank you Professor...?" She trailed off realizing that she didn't know his name but he knew hers. (y/n) got up from her spot at her desk and walked over to him.

"Snape. Severus Snape." She held out a hand to shake his.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Professor Snape. I have already heard so much about you."

"Oh," he raised an eyebrow. "Who have you been talking to about me."

"The students." She admitted not being able to meet his eyes. (y/n) looked down at her shoes not wanting to see the look on his face.

She already knew that he thought she was too young for the job and she didn't want to see his face when he came to the understanding that she associated with the students more than the professors.

Truthfully, she felt it a lot more easier to relate to them since she had only graduated a couple of years ago.

"Please look at me when you're speaking to me." Snape used his finger and place it under (y/n)'s chin forcing her to look him in his eyes. "Only the children don't look me in the eye when they're talking to me. I don't plan on treating you like one of them; you are my equal Miss (l/n). Though you do look as if you could fit right in with the children. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you Professor?"

"Please call me (y/n)." She waved her hand letting him know it was okay for him to call her by her first name. She still found it a challenge to get the students to call her Professor (l/n). It felt way too professional. "And I'm 25."

"Why you're merely a child." Snape couldn't himself. He accidently let it slip out and he instantly regretted it. He could see the look of hurt flash across her face and then it was gone. She wasn't going to let him see her hurt. She pushed back her shoulders and looked him dead in the eye.

"I am not a child Professor Snape." She hissed. Her voice was not sweet and inviting like it had been earlier. "I am highly qualified for this job, probably more qualified than you were when you started. I mastered the arts of Potions when I was just 14 years old. I've been brewing these potions since I could read. I've had pretty much every potion memorized since I was 11. I've been brewing Wolfsbane since I was 9 for a couple of my parent's friends. I can make Veritaserum so powerful you won't be able to lie for the rest of your life. I can make a vial of Felix Felisis so that you would never run out of luck. I refuse to let anyone talk down on me just because I'm young. I graduated with the highest marks in Potions that anyone at Beauxbatons has ever received. So I will see you tomorrow at breakfast. Good night." She quickly walked around him to her sleeping chambers.