Fanfiction Tag

Tagged by NaivEevee

1. Describe yourself as a character in a fanfic

She was a young woman in her mid-twenties. She walked rapidly but without sound, as though she didn't want to be seen or heard. Her eyes were unfocused, and her mouth twitched down into a frown as though reacting to some unseen stimulus. Her posture was odd and her expression vaguely unsettling. No one quite knew what to make of her.

(Seriously, my true self is far superior to my outward appearance.)

2. Ritual before/during/after writing

The only rule is that I need it to be completely quiet. Typically, I sit on the couch with my cat in my lap.

3. Favorite fanfic to write?

The Girl with the Chikorita -- It was exciting, it was emotional, it was complex, and it was fairly good.

4. Authors you admire?

I watched a docu-drama not too long ago about the Bronte sisters. Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre, which is one of my all-time favorite books. Just watching everything that they had to live through, both related to publication (not only using men's names but actually pretending to be men in order to be published and taken seriously) and related to the simple facts of their lives really had an effect on me. Man, do I admire all the women who were brave enough to make a path for those like me.

5. How many words could you write if you concentrated in one hour?

Well, that really depends on how much quality you're expecting from these words. My typical chapter is somewhere between two and three thousand words, and it tends to take a few hours of a weekend afternoon or a few separate hours on weeknights to write a completed draft. I suppose that would be less than a thousand words an hour, but I believe I clocked myself at around 1600 words an hour when I was doing NaNoWriMo and just throwing words onto the page willy-nilly.

6. First fanfic pairing and plot?

Pairing: none. Plot: See Getting Out of Fuchsia

7. Inspiration, motivation, time?

My inspiration mainly comes from my own life and my own head. For fanfic, I'm obviously inspired at least in part by the source material as well, and, occasionally, it will happen that finishing a really good book will inspire me for a single writing session.

My motivation is strong.

My time is limited due to work and other commitments, but not as limited as it could be. I usually have my weekends almost entirely free (unless you count GRA work as a commitment also).

8. Why I write?

I believe I've responded to this question previously. See other chapters in this book.

9. Are you planning on writing anything other than fanfiction?

I already have. 😊

10. Most inspirational inspiration?

My thoughts?

11. Favorite fanfic you've written?

The Girl with the Chikorita

12. Strangest fanfic idea you plan to write/have written?

I don't think I have any really strange ones. I had planned to write a few that never really made it, including a short story about the first Absol (Absol is a bit overdone as a short story plot these days), a book about the creation of Porygon (including all the technical details), and a Doctor Who fanfic following the adventures of the Doctor's granddaughter Susan after her first regeneration. That last is one that I really would like to write, especially because I'm looking forward to absolutely destroying all the sexism Susan fell victim to as a result of the times in which Doctor Who was first aired (she was a companion of the first Doctor), as well as incorporating some more factual and informative history than the type usually seen in the show. The first problem is that this would require substantial research. The second is that none of my fans would read it. And they would wonder why I'm not working on the Pokémon fanfics I've been promising.

13. Which fanfic do you wish you'd written better?

Well, since I'm currently rewriting Getting Out of Fuchsia, obviously that one. An argument could be made for Chica's Story, though, since I've basically abandoned it and have no clue what to even do with it in its unfinished state.

14. Best fanfics ever read?

See my reading list.

15. Guilty writing pleasure?

I have a bad habit of wanting to make things too mysterious. I build up this big complex idea or set of ideas that is always "yet to be revealed" and expect the reader to be anxiously anticipating it when they're really either confused or not even knowing that there is something awesome coming. I have to go back and edit that sort of thing out of my drafts and then force myself to reveal enough for the readers to get a decent foothold, but it is fun to write initially.

16. Do you plan before you write or not?

To a degree, yes. I have lots of plans swirling around inside my head. That's my favorite place to keep them. Nothing is fixed until I write the actual piece.

17. Fast writer?

Define "fast".

18. How old were you when you started writing?

I don't even know what counts as the start.

19. Why did you start writing?

Well, if I don't even know when it was...

20. Favorite six sentences from your works?

Ekans twists around, struggling to catch her with its head or its body, squirming this way and that as Chica hops, hops, hops, growling and staring it straight on like an oversized mongoose.

-  battle scene from Getting Out of Fuchsia

"That's right, I don't know my own name!" I shout, feeling tears streaming down my face to mix with the lingering drops of rainwater.

- main character in Getting Out of Fuchsia

Sabrina has a striking face, all sharp edges and cold symmetry, right down to the straight line of her mouth, which appears to be frowning without the rest of her face realizing it.

- description from The Girl with the Chikorita

The first words to pop into my mind, the perfect words to describe everything I'm feeling at this very moment: "You are such an idiot!"

- main character to Elliot in The Girl with the Chikorita

You were meant to create your own.

- Last sentence of The Girl with the Chikorita

The Pokémon are a part of his dreams, and, if I'm going to have the life I truly want, for myself and for my son, they can't be haunting mine.

- Delia Ketchum in Pokémon Rewritten

I don't know who to tag because NaivEevee and SGmijumaru and Blue___22 and probably a bunch of other people have already done it and/or been tagged. If Sheare hasn't been tagged yet, she should definitely do it when she gets back from vacation.