Pokemon Silver

(Another thing about my tablet? It won't let me type accented e's.)

One good thing about this weekend? The original Gold and Silver games were released for the 3DS virtual console yesterday. The first games to feature Chikorita, and I've never played them before.

I bought a copy of Silver after discovering that you can catch both Ho-Oh and Lugia in either one and version exclusives to Silver include Vulpix, Skarmory, and Phanpy. I finished downloading it after I got home from work yesterday.

I sat down and watched an opening sequence I'd never seen before. I was disappointed to remember that these older games only offer the option of playing as a guy. I usually play as a girl and name the character after myself. I briefly considered what my guy name would be until I realized that it never labeled this character as male. Maybe this young girl has a short haircut and just likes dressing that way. Why not play as a girl who doesn't go for traditional femininity and actually has a realistic body shape for a ten year old? Done!

For my starter, I'm sure I don't even have to tell you my choice. I did mix it up a little, though. The Chikorita presented to me was male. Chikorita only has a twelve and a half percent chance of being female, so this was no great surprise to me. If you ask me, this kind of genetic disadvantage is the exact reason that the species is so rare, but no amount of criticism is going to change the game code. Instead, I reset. I reset again and again until the game gave me a Chica.

[Insert picture that my tablet's browser apparently can't handle. Sorry; it would have been adorable.]

And so I set off to meet Mr. Pokemon, the mysterious foreigner who hands the player an egg. I battled with Silver and was startled by his Cyndaquil's laser eyes. It turned out to be the animation for Leer, but it made me wonder. What if Cyndaquil's eyes are so famously closed because the eyelids are the only thing holding back the intensely deadly lasers that are the creature's secret defense mechanism? Because having a back full of bonfire isn't enough.

I caught a Sentret I named Friend and a Pidgey I named Breadcrumb. Finally, I battled Youngster Joey. I did NOT give him my phone number.