Pokémon Fanfic Tag

I was tagged by Cora-chan to do this Pokémon-related tag (originally posted by ImperLapis ).

1. How many Pokéfics have you written and/or are currently writing?

Completed books include Getting Out of Fuchsia and The Girl with the Chikorita. Chica's Story was started but never completed, and Pokémon Rewritten is being published very, very slowly. I also have a book full of one shots, which I add to on occasion.

2. Which of your Pokéfics is your favorite?

The Girl with the Chikorita is my personal favorite. I poured so much of myself into it and am just so proud of how well it turned out.

3. Do you prefer using canon characters or OCs for your main characters?

Well, I've used a mix if you count Pokémon Rewritten, but I really enjoy writing my own characters more than putting a twist on familiar ones. For canon characters, I typically feel a bit nervous about getting them right, even as I have fun expanding upon them. My own characters, by contrast, are like a part of me, so they feel much more dear to my heart.

4. What are some of your favorite Pokéfics and why?

This is a question that becomes increasingly more difficult to answer the longer I spend on Wattpad. I've read so many good stories now that I don't have space to talk about all of them. Combing through my reading list (which I reserve for serious recommendations) just for the Pokémon books, I can see that I have Pokémon Chronicles: Zero (the latest by my good friend SGmijumaru , which is seriously under-read), Split (a one shot by CottonCandyMe that really caught my attention in last year's Pokémon Watties), Words Aren't Enough (a really sweet and heartwarming book by pi_memorizer ), Velvet Crescent (by Sheare , and you can go read a full review of that one over in the GottaReadEmAllClub ), Fly Wingull Fly! (Kimcgray95 's really unique and interesting book), Fiery Lands and Stormy Seas (another unique and interesting book with a LOT of plot twists by PokeBroncoFan ), A Journey's End (a one shot by itsukiuki  that caught my eye one day), Blue Lightning (obviously the old classic by PikaChick that always reminds me of my first days as part of the Wattpad community), A Spirit's Journey (an Pokémon-centered adventure book by RolfTheAbra ), The Golden Throne (another adventure book, this one an epic set in a marvelously detailed new region created by Vespin ), Underdog (one of the first Pokémon books that really made me laugh, written by DachshundPiano ), and a few other really old favorites that you can feel free to look up for yourself.

5. Do you like journey stories or stories that deviate from the Pokémon formula?

I like both! As you can tell from my favorites, I like all kinds of Pokémon fanfics, from badge journey books to Pokémon-centric books to books with entirely unique concepts. What matters to me is if it's really good!

6. What are your favorite Pokéfic clichés?

This is a tough question to answer. I feel as though I could like just about anything that is considered to be a cliché if it were truly executed in the proper fashion. That may be more difficult to pull off for some of them than others, I suspect, but as long as the cliché doesn't necessitate bad writing as a part of it, I think anything could be redeemed.

7. What are your most hated Pokéfic clichés?

That would have to be anything that didn't fit into the question above, clichés that are defined by bad writing or that come as a natural result of bad writing. Really, clichés of this kind are the ones that betray a lack of creativity or reasoning or depth or are executed in such a way that they make the writing bad. If the main character is randomly saved by a legendary Pokémon, for example, and this results in all of his or her problems being resolved, that's a deus ex machina. If your main character has an unbelievable power (like the ability to talk to Pokémon) that is never truly explained or catches unbelievably powerful Pokémon with apparent ease, that's both a lack of creativity and a lack of reasoning, probably born from a desire to want to include some cool concept or Pokémon at the cost of good story-telling.

8. What is a genre of Pokéfic that you'd like to see written?

The more good Pokémon fanfics without a romantic subplot, the happier I will be! Give me a whole variety of genres with books like that.

9. Do you prioritize character exchanges or battles in your Pokémon fanfics?

As anyone who has read my books can probably tell you, it's all about the character development for me.

10. What is your overall opinion of the Pokéfic community?

I think it's awesome, and I'm so glad to be a part of it! I might not be involved in every aspect, but, from the parts that I can see, everyone is so nice and caring and supportive of one another. My friends in the GRA are so dedicated to helping each other and the community as a whole, the people who read my books leave the best comments that light up my day, the people who request reviews from me show a genuine willingness to learn and grow, and the writers whose books I read create some really interesting and enjoyable content. It isn't perfect, but neither is any institution created by humans. I feel really thankful for what we have here because I think that it's something special, and I'm happy to be a part of it and to do my best to help keep it shining.

Tags: SGmijumaruSheare ChronaLilly .