Chapter 1: Welcome to the Maw

How does a Blind man know about the sea? They can't see it oh no they can not

How does a Blind man know about the sea? They can't see it oh no they can not. But we know more then those who can see. We pay attention to the slow rocking motions on calm waves, the flow of the water that passes through our fingers, and soft sweet smelling breeze of the sea air as it passes by. I could not see the ocean but I could tell it was inviting.

The first time I ever discovered the ocean I was coming here, my new home, the magnificent maw. Just like the sea, i can not feast my eyes on something so grand as the Maw, but the Day I brought my luggage on board was only the very beginning.

"So you made made it" I heard a woman say with a soft yet a very impatient voice. "The Ferryman was taking to long in my option."

"Do forgive him mam, it was mostly my fault due to my belongings my deepest apologies for that" I told her trying to bow somewhere close in her direction.

"No need to bow I accept your apologies" She spoke in a much kinder tone, "However if I may ask why did you bring so much luggage"

"Well My kind hostess, my home was a place of pure chaos and despair" I began opening one of my brief cases that reviled old tattered items. "Due to the chaos outside of these waters I became a mere collector of the lost and forgotten items of the past."

"A collector you say?" The Ferryman asked me.

"Yes, when you're a monster such as myself you tend enjoy the silence and hobbies you make for yourself" I slowly placed the doll back in the briefcase and closed it. "That is why I took your offer to be apart of the maw my lady, I will take any job you assign me all I wish is for a place for myself and my collection."

"Very well" she spoke "I may have a place for you but if it ends up being too difficult for you, please tell me."

"I will my lady"

"What's your name?"

"Roger, my lady"

"Very well Roger I will assign you as the janitor in the lower parts of the maw. There you can have access to our spare rooms to place your collection and be able to keep it growing if you wish?"

"T-thank you my lady, I am truly honored" I replied.

"Do you really think this is a good idea our lady" I heard two men speak at once but the angry voice from the two continued talking. "Do you really think this blind old man can work cleaning and navigating down there?!"

"I see the potential in him for this task" The lady spoke up. "After all I gave you two a chance and you are now the most talented and hard working chefs I ever had...Roger I can not go below the maw. So I shall have my husband take you down and explain the job you will be assigned to."

"Please follow me to your room sir."

As I Walked away I heard the lady speak one last time.

"Welcome to the Maw"