Chapter 3 : Death of the morning

The First night on the maw was interesting, to say the least

The First night on the maw was interesting, to say the least. Moments after that...eccentric bellhop left one of the chefs brought down my meal and left. It was hard to tell which one it was since they didn't speak nor came back to grab the dishes. Since it's morning I figured might as well take them up to the kitchen myself, good excuse to figure my way around. About a few minutes or so I managed to find the first elevator, then the second, then the third. Once I got to that point I could hear the sizzle of cooking meat, the boiling of liquid in the pots and a voice right in front of me.

"What the hell are you doing here old man?" From the sound of it this was the rude one of the two chefs.

"Well no one came down to get my plate so I figured I'd bring it back up to you." I replied, trying to not start trouble. The chefs seem close to the lady so it's best if i didn't get on there bad side.

"I was going to grab it after making breakfast" he grabbed the plate from me. "You don't need to come up here, this is our part of the maw and down there is yours so beat it! We're working here."

"Don't be rude! You know he's new here." the other chef spoke in a meeker tone. "Hello. My name is Dave and this my brother Cecil. Sorry about what he said to you he can be quite cranky if he doesn't have his morning coffee. Would you like some?"

"No! He can get out of our kitchen!" Cecil boomed

"Coffee sounds good actually" I said to spite Cecil just a little bit more. " I can't get my day going with out my first cup."

" Great! It's almost done. You can sit in the chair right next to you. I'll be right back." I heard Dave walk away and I took a seat.

" You think your gonna make it work down in the lower parts?" Cecil spoke up. "You need to know every nook and cranny down there. One slip up and you fall down quite a long ways. Hey maybe the old bat down there can keep you company, if the fall doesn't kill you."

"Cecil quit scaring him!" Dave yelled in the distance.

"I'm not!'

"Yes you are" Dave said walking back to the table. "Why do you gotta be so grumpy?

"why do you gotta sleep on my side of the bed?!"

"why haven't you quite smoking?!"

"You know I get stressed!"

"Who doesn't get stressed!"

The bickering halted thanks to the sound of shattered glass that came from the back of the room. It was quiet for a second until I heard small little footsteps hitting the floor.

"It's escaped!" Cecil yelled and I could hear both of them running desperately to catch whatever it was. I got off the chair and stared to run towards them.

However as the twins ran one way, I heard the footsteps run the other way. I reached out to the other side and grabbed it. I could feel it squirm in fingers, desperately wanting to be free. I soon realized that what was in my hand was a small human child. I soon felt a strong hand slap my back.

"Well, damn!" Cecil spoke. "looks like you might be cut out for this job after all old man."

"What is this!" Said the hosts booming voice that made me freeze for a moment. I realized the host must have entered during that little episode.

"A child escaped sir." Dave replied, a little nervously. "b-but the janitor got them see"

Even being blind it still felt as if the host was glaring down at me and the child still desperately squirming in my hand.

"Good" He replied. "Now take care of it."

"Yes sir I will take it back to t-"

"Not you" he cut me off. "chefs you take care of it."

I could feel one of them take the child from my hand, the cry and grunts for escape were almost traumatizing to say at the least.

"B-but i'ts not even time for guest to arrive yet, don't you think we should just take it back to the prison?" Dave said shaken.

"I know you don't like killing them." Cecil said as I heard a blade getting pulled out. Then a small thump. I knew what was going to happen next. "You know I have no problem with this bro, so I'll make it quick k?"

Everything was quiet except for the cries, but in just a few seconds with a small chop, the cries had stop and the host soon spoke. "Thank you Cecil, I trust you can prepare of this properly so it won't spoil until the guest arrive in a few months?"

"Yes sir" Cecil replied to him.

"Good, now Janitor I have placed some new furniture into your room you should probably go and also go take a look where that pest escaped from and make sure no more have run off." He said to me. "Unless you want more work for the chefs?"

"I'll go and investigate the prison." I replied already heading to the elevator.