Chapter 2: Getting Adjusted

Bags in hand the lady's husband walked me deeper into the maw, I will admit there were hundreds of little bumps and trips but it would not be something I couldn't handle in due time

Bags in hand the lady's husband walked me deeper into the maw, I will admit there were hundreds of little bumps and trips but it would not be something I couldn't handle in due time. Feeling the slight pull of the elevators taking me deeper into the ship was fascinating to think as to how large the maw really was.

"we're here" the host said as he lead me into what I would imagine be my new home.

"There's not much in here now but by tomorrow we can have new furniture brought for you" He spoke. "The Bellhop will bring the rest of your bags down by tonight as well as the chefs bringing you a meal. You must be hungry after your trip."

"I am yes, however may I have the nicer one of those two cooks bring it down the other one is quite a rude little git" I began to feel around the room to at least make sure I had a bed to sleep on until tomorrow. A few minutes later I felt my hand get grabbed and placed on a lever.

"Just pull the lever on the side right here and the bed will come out, there are straps in case of a storm" he pulled my hand down and i soon heard a large thump of the bed falling. "and before I leave I must let you know what you will be doing"

"What will I be doing?" I asked

"Well for starters, you will be in charge of cleaning the lower sections of the maw as well as the guest chambers before and after the guests have arrived. That will only be once a year however, so that won't be an everyday hassle. Second you're in charge of making sure the children in the prison do not escape the lower levels, the lady would be furious if you make that mistake."

"Why is that?"

"The Children down here as you know is what we capture to keep the guests happy, keeping them happy will mean more for the lady, and the more for the lady the longer the maw will remain moving. So whatever must be done the children must stay down here until they are ready to be sent to the chefs to be made into meals for the guest"

" I want to let you know this right now sir, I am not a killer, I can be many things but a killer I am not"

"As long as they're fresh when they're brought to the chefs you do not need to kill. All we ask is you keep them in these lower levels until it is time for them to be delivered."

Before he could say anything more I turned to a creak from the door.

"Sir, i have brought the Janitors bags down as requested"said the figure, his voice sounding like he was trying to speak while drowning in tar.

" thank you Bellhop" the host replied "and with that i must be off. I hope you find the maw to your liking?"

I heard the man's footsteps grow distant, a few moments after the footsteps disappeared I soon realized that the bellhop was still there due to a sudden bubbly cackle.

"What's so funny there mate?" I asked him

"Oh it's just going to fun on the maw soon now that you're here." he replied to me, still laughing

"Oh yeah, and why's that?"

"You don't know? Oh wait that's right you couldn't know unless someone told you" He said, seeming to sound amused that I was blind. " Our lady is expecting a child in a few more months, and when it gets here things are going to get real fun now that you're here."

"You're not making a nick of sense"

"Oh trust me, I will soon enough" his laughter was growing more and more distant as he walked away.