chapter 19: Only Fool's

The night before the guest arrival was always the busiest time for everyone. The chefs have started cooking, the gnome's are feeding the engine, and for me getting the past away children ready for the chefs. However this year my mind was set more on six. The last few days I have been hoping, no praying she would wake up. I know she would be afraid of me but knowing she was awake would help ease my nerves. I wanted to take precautions however, for the past few years I've noticed the children down here like to plan escapes all at once down here. Some are smart and stay were they are, but others like to do things the hard was. In fact not to long ago I caught a child coming up from the old woman's home down in the maw. I was surprised to find him alive, but he hasn't made a peep since. Oh well off to the chefs they go. However on the way back i heard something, the sound of eating. Right below me in the cage I placed a while ago.

"Six?" I whispered. I knew it wasn't a prison child, there not foolish enough to fall for that. I reached down and I closed the cage.

"Six" I repeated again. From the growls and grunts from trying to escape the cage I could hear it was her. "I'm glad to know your awake, but you still don't recognise me do you?"

I continued to hear her growls coming from the cage until they stopped. She fell asleep again but for how long. The more I stood there with my caged little girl I kept thinking about what to do. As much as I wanted her to complete her task, I didn't want the chance of her getting killed. The chefs, guest, even the lady herself they would all try to killer.

"Get a hold of yourself roge, you know you haft to let her go. Only a fool would just keep her here and just wait to see if the hunger would past...right?"

...

I placed six in one of the holding areas, and took the cage with the other child I found back with me to Finnish the task of wrapping up the dead children for the chefs.

"Alright one down, just a few more to go" I mumbled to myself. "I still don't know about six, maybe if I just kept her here untill the hunger passes. It will all be over, her memories will return and we will be a family. Like nothing ever happend right?"

I soon sighed at that idea.

"Who am I kidding, like the old bat said her hunger will stop at nothing to complete its goal. Still I can't...I can't just stand here and just hope she doesn't get killed. Maybe I can feed her the first three things that were on the list then after the guest are dead I can let her go. It be safer I would think."

My thoughts were haulted as the rusted creeking of the Handel in the other room began to turn. I headed in there as after it stoped I heard a set of footprints.

"Your not getting away" I reached out but the metal door slammed shut. I was aggravated to know I let one escape...however a small thought in my mind soon had me running to the holding area.

"Six!" I yelled entering the room. "Six are you th-"

I tripped over a metal cage, it surprised me since I knew I didn't put one there. I got back up and reached over to sixes cage, it wasn't there. Just a fallen down broken cage.

"No....no no no NO!" I was in panic, she ran off. And I didn't know where she was how far she's gone. I got to find her...I needed to find her. Before anyone elts did all I could think about was if she was killed. I needed to think I showed six several areas the bellhop told me she could go undetected I'm sure her hunger would have kept her memories of that intact. It probably be my best chance of catching her before she leaves the lair.

I just hope I find her in time.