Chapter 6: A New Member to the Maw

Everything was quiet as we sat down in the main kitchen. I couldn't hear the boys at the table, but I could tell they were staring at me.

"Don't you boys have anything better than to do?" I asked. The sudden shift on the table made me think they jumped.

"Well..." Dave started. "Y-you have been sitting there quietly for awhile and well...."

"What's eating you?" Cecil asked. "After that broad slapped ya you just been there sulking. why? are you that upset over a slap to the face?"

"It's not that" I replied. "Its just...remember when I first came to the maw? How I said a monster like me just wanted solitude?"

"Yeah" Dave replied, "You were showing the lady your collection."

"Well there's a reason for that" I placed my hands on the table. "Just like you, I am not like the guests that come to the Maw. The years living on the shores I learned that if you don't look like them, or are not as rich as they are. Things, things can get hard out there you. You two told me the maw was the only home you boys ever had, but when you live on the shores, and you're not one of them."

I raised my finger and pulled up my fallen skin to reveal my eyes. I still couldn't see anything but I heard a small gasp, and all I could do is sigh.

"This is what they do to you" I spoke "I was a Lad when this happened, I ran into a few of them one day trying to get back to my hideaway. They saw me and well they held me down and managed to... cause some damage. I don't know what happened to my eyes but my worlds been black ever since."

For years I have been able to forget that day, but today it all came back. The fear I felt laying in complete darkness as rain fell on me and pulsating pain of my opens wounds, the complete and utter fear of being left alone to die. The struggle finding my way back to my home. The fact I cried and yelled for help, and no one came. I felt warm wet tears falling down my cheek, and it caused me to snap back to the present. But it was not just the fresh tears rolling down my face I felt two large arms wrapped around me.

"That's so sad" Dave sniffed. "The shores sound so scary."

"Yeah" I replied. "Yeah they were"

The elevator soon opened and the rush of footsteps came in.

"David, Cecil, Roger, we need boiled water and clean sheets at the lady's quarters at once!" The host yelled. "The lady is having her child!"