Chapter 7: She's your responsibility

Minutes later the chefs and I sat at the steps of the lady's room. We could hear the screams of pain and the muffled cries coming from there. It seemed to go on forever until the tiny higher pitched cry came out from the room.

"Its a girl" the bubbling voice of the bellhop spoke as he started to walk down the steps, he got close to my ear and whispered. "Things are going to get interesting for you it seems."

...

That night I laid in my bed trying to wrap my head around this situation. What did the birth of this child mean, what was the bellhop trying to tell him with that  "This will be interesting" bit he's done for the past few months. Why was I allowing this to swim in his mind to the point I'm losing sleep. This entire situation is making me lose my bloody mind.

My thoughts were interrupted by large bang on my door.

"Who's there?" I mumbled getting up, and groggily walking towards the door.

"It's me" a familiar bubbly voice replied. I soon noticed another sound as well a soft, and very high pitch cooing of a baby.

"What are you thinking" I opened the door quickly and hopefully glaring in his direction. "How crazy do you got to be to take a baby from its mother."

"Crazy enough to know the child is in danger." bellhop replied.

"Excuse me, what?" I asked confused. "What danger?"

"You wouldn't know since your not originally from the maw, and the chefs were two young to have known." the bellhop walked into the room more, and shut the door behind him.

"Alright" I said. "But what dose this...baby got to do with this?"

"The hostess will kill her."

"What?" I snapped in shocked.

The bellhop started. "I have known the lady longer then anyone, youth and beauty is her obsession the lady only needs to feast on one soul a year, she feasts on more to preserved her youth. She wanted to have this child, but tonight she went crazy thinking that the child will grow to be more beautiful then she is.

"How can she tell?" I asked "I mean I'm blind, but I have seen infants prior and they all mostly look the same."

"She thinks it's because of her power" He replied "She says she can feel the amount of her power coursing throw this child. The greater the power, the more youth and control a person like the lady can have"

"If all of this is true, How the hell do you know any of this?" I asked him trying to wrap my head around everything. 

"She ordered me to throw it off the ship before we sank back down" he began. "I will not allow this to happen, and this is why once we can get close to the shores again I'll be able to find her a safe place...but until then."

I felt the bellhop trying to hand me the mass of squirming blankets in my hands. I tried to make sure I had a good hold so the child didn't fall from my hands.

"Until then I'm having you take care of her."

"What!" I snapped "do you have a slight clue of what I do down here? Do you honestly think that this is the best option for it?"

"Its the only option" he said "The lady has a way to see everything but not in this section, I don't know why but half of the prison and this floor is the only place that's safe. Just keep her here until we rise next year."

"Next year?!" I yelled at him. "I don't think I could take care of her For a day, let alone a year!"

"We have no other choice" he replied. "Until we rise she's your responsibility" 

"But-" I didn't get a chance to Finnish before i heard the door shut. 

I felt the child start to squirm in my hands before it yawned and went still"

"Well Looks like he was right all along." I said to myself in a nervous panic. "This is going to be interesting."