Chapter 20.

Denial shined clearly on Dante’s face when Cherry confronted the ordeal. Dante’s eyes dropped to the keyboard in front of him as he lightly pecked away at the keys, obviously busy with work. “Well, we had sex a couple times before I had the vasectomy Cherry. She’s already had one child. That’s make her extremely fertile.”

Dante’s shoulders rose and dropped. Cherry rolled her eyes watching him type. “Dante, are you serious?” Dante finally sighed turning away from the computer screen. ,”Cherry, can you shut the door?” Cherry got up from her chair pushing the door shut before taking her seat again. ,”I know Jayla isn’t mine.” Cherry looked at him unsure if he was actually telling the truth. ,”How?”

Dante stopped typing and clicked the computer screen off reaching underneath his desk and pulling out  a large brown folder. Cherry eyed the front. It read; DNA ANALYIS COOPERATION. “ on the front of it. Dante pulled out a sheet of white paper from it handing it to Cherry. Cherry read over it. Everything was negative. There was no way Jayla was his daughter, her blood type was unlike his.

Cherry frowned at the date. He’d gotten the test 4months ago. ,”Why are you staying around?” Dante took the folder from Cherry placing it underneath his desk again. “Jayla’s dad molested her” Cherry mouth widened. “ and I love Jayla, Although she’s not my blood. She still is my daughter, I do everything for her.”  Cherry nodding understanding.  Jealousy flaring up just a little. Was she too late?

Cherry twisted her hands in her lap oddly. ,”What if this baby isn’t yours?” Dante eyes shadowed over with pain. ,”Than, I will get custody of Jayla and leave her.” Dante said it so plainly that Cherry wondered if it was as easy as he made it sound. ,”Do you love Erica?” Dante nodded. ,”At times.” “Shouldn’t you feel love for someone all the time?” Dante finally shifted his eyes over to Cherry’s. ,”I don’t know, most of the time I feel like love is a sacrifice with her.”

“Then why do you love her?” “She grew on me, and I grew to care for her and love for her.” Cherry bit her tongue. ,”Dante, she’s not right for you.” Dante smiled a bit. ,”Everyone says that” Cherry rolled her eyes. ,”Why don’t you listen than?” Cherry blushed feeling Dante’s hands brush along hers. ,”If I listened to what everybody said all the time, I would think I was a pussy boy and I would never be sitting in this office.”

Cherry smiled looking down. ,”I only said that because you wouldn’t tell me how you feel, or why you slept with me..” Dante sat back in his seat. ,”That was because I didn’t know how I felt, and after I had sex with you I wasn’t sure what to tell you.” “Did you like me?”

Dante leaned forward. ”I still do.” Cherry felt her eyes widen a little in shock as she flushed pink avoiding his eyes. ,”Oh.” Dante chuckled a little. ,”Oh?”  Cherry suddenly felt his fingers tip her chin so she was now looking into his eyes. “I always have liked you. I want to apologize for kissing you back.”

“I probably shouldn’t have done that. I have a wedding to look forward too.” Cherry sighed. Dante read her mine easily. ,”Maybe if we would have spoken sooner?” Cherry looked at him questionably. ,”You will be married before she has the baby, and you won’t find out till she does.”

Dante nodded. ,”I know.” “Are you sure, you should go through with marrying her. I mean she lied and told you Jayla was your’s” Dante pressed his lips to Cherry’s forehead. ,”She is my daughter, just not by blood, and I talked to Erica’s mom.”

Cherry closed her eyes feeling his soft lips touch her cool skin. ,”What did she say?” “Erica was afraid I’d leave, and she was afraid for Jayla. Erica wanted that protection there. I could be mad at her, but I can’t. I love Jayla, and her blood father use to abuse her, how can I be mad at Erica. She was afraid. No she hasn’t told me, but before we wed I will talk to her.” Cherry opened her eyes. ,” I guess you grew up?” Dante smiled. ,”Yes. I have.”

Cherry’s heart felt weary, Dante was becoming something she couldn’t have, and it hurt. “I like you too Dante.” Cherry felt her heart do a triple beat as a cocky smile traced Dante’s lips. They same cocky smile he use to use a year ago. ,”I know. You blush at everything I do or say.” Cherry felt her face heat up and she cursed herself for being so light. Dante laughed. “I don’t know what to do Dante. You have always been the one with my heart. Which is probably why is was never easy for me to really be with anyone.”

Dante opened his mouth to speak, but his office phone began ringing. Cherry started to get up as he answered it. ,”Bye Dante, I should go” Dante covered the receiver with his hand. ,”I love you too Cherry. You have always been in my heart too, since day one.”

Cherry nodded knowingly, but it still didn’t help the caged feeling that was overwhelming her. Erica wasn’t as big of a bitch as she thought she was, and Dante had good intensions. He made every bit of sense and it annoyed Cherry, although she knew he was right, and he was being a man about the situation.

“Bye Dante.” Dante looked at her worriedly, as if he knew, she wasn’t just saying bye, she was telling him: Bye ,“I’ll call you?” Cherry paused. ,”Call me after you find out if the baby is yours.” Dante looked at Cherry a puzzled look on his face.

He’d clearly forgotten he was on the phone as he put the receiver back into its cradle. ,”You want me to call you in another year Cherry?” Cherry wondered if this was a stupid thing to do, look what it got her this time. ,” When our path’s cross, we will see what happens.” Dante looked her. ,”Cherry.. I just found you again. Why would I wait that long to see you again.”

Cherry shrugged. ,”I just need some time to grow up. You have my heart and I’d probably ruin your marriage because I still have emotion’s like the young stupid girl I am. I can’t even be happy for you right now because I want to be with you.” Dante nodded. ,”I don’t know what to say.” Cherry leaned in kissing him for a long time, feeling his arms wrap around her, as he began to return the kiss.

“If you love something let it go.. If it comes back, It was yours to began with. If it doesn’t, it was never truly yours in the first place.” Dante looked at Cherry intently. ,”And If we meet again, and I’m married?” Cherry traced a finger along his lips a smile on her own. ,”Than we were never meant. That quote always seems to leave out that coming back isn’t always a physical thing, I can see your face, but you being taken, shines the reality that you were never mine.

Dante and Cherry held to each other tight, before finally letting go for a 2nd time.

__

I did say they go to GREAT height’s to avoid feeling. Will they meet up for the last time and finally be together? Or will the story follow the title and will their paths only cross? Only to never find the same road?

QUESTION(S)

1 Do you think they will end up together? (Why? Why not)

2 Is Cherry doing the right thing? (Why? Why not?)