Chapter 2

Mother leads me outside, walking down a trail I've never been allowed to go down

Mother leads me outside, walking down a trail I've never been allowed to go down. We reach a red barn, its paint slightly chipping. Mother slides open the door, motioning for me to enter first. I look around, amazed at the sight before me. Hundreds upon hundreds of barrels lay stacked, filled with what I assume is syrup.

"Impressive isn't it?" Mother asks me.

"Yes, but Mother, why are you showing me this?" I ask her, still gazing around the barn.

"The company, as you know, is focused on syrup. Everyday, our employees bring in another barrel, and every day they get placed in here. The Blossoms and us share this barn, it is the basis for everything. Every week, we ship some of the barrels off, and we keep the rest." I turn to look at her, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Why do we keep some?" Mother walks until she is right before me, placing a cold hand on my shoulder.

"I'll let you in on a secret. Syrup is not the only thing we deal with. There is something else that helps keep this business alive and running."

"What is it?" She only shakes her head, moving away from me.

"You will know soon enough." And with those last words, she exits the barn, leaving me more confused and with more questions than I had before.

~

Cheryl and I lay on her bed as we paint our fingernails. Cheryl, like always, chooses a dark red, while I paint mine black.

"Cher?" I ask, breaking the silence. "Have your parents ever told you about the business? About what they deal with?"

"You know my parents, they never tell me anything." She says, sighing as she does so. I've always felt bad for her. Although her and Jason are twins and have much in common, her parents seemed to prefer him over her. She won't admit it, but I know it hurts her. "Why do you ask?"

"Mother showed me the barn. While we were there, she mentioned that they deal with something other than syrup, but she refused to tell me. Kept saying I'll know soon enough." Cheryl looks up at me, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Do you think it's drugs?" She playfully asks. I roll my eyes, throwing a pillow at her. She laughs, going to return the favor, but stops when someone clears their throat. I quickly stand up, straightening my shirt. Mr. and Mrs. Blossom stand in the doorway, their backs painfully straight and their hands clasped in front of them.

"Davina, I believe it's time you head home. Wouldn't want you to return home after curfew." Mrs. Blossom tells me. I nod my head, saying a quick farewell to everyone before rushing downstairs. Clifford and Penelope have always terrified me. I try not to show it in front of them, but it's harder than it seems. They have this dark aura that sends chills down my spine.

I reach my house, bidding my parents goodnight before heading to my room. I stare out the window, watching the stars twinkle in the night sky. I ponder what Mother said. What did she mean by the business dealing with something else? Why won't she ever tell me anything? What is she hiding?

And there is the second chapter! Thank you guys so much for reading! Sorry it's kinda short, but I hope you liked it'