Chapter 19

It happened so suddenly

It happened so suddenly. One minute, Cheryl's smirking as she watches Betty Cooper run from her house. The next, she's standing besides the river, watching as the police drag two bodies to shore. But they weren't just any bodies, they were Jason's and Davina's. This isn't real. They aren't dead. Any day now they're going to call me, saying they're coming to get me. They're not gone. Cheryl bites her lip until the metallic taste of blood lands on tongue. She wills herself not to cry, not to break down like she badly wants to.

Penelope puts a cold hand on her daughters shoulder, digging her nails into her skin. Cheryl understands what she means. Don't you dare cry. Don't you dare make us look like fools. Cheryl shakes her head, turning her gaze away from the corpses. Her eyes land on a boy hiding in the shadows, an odd looking beanie resting on his dark hair. His dark eyes twinkle in the light, and Cheryl can only assume he's been crying. But why? The boy leaves, running away from the crime scene.

Kevin Keller stands by his father, retelling how he came upon the bodies. Archie Andrews, Betty Cooper, and Veronica Lodge stand a little ways away from the Blossoms, discussing the nights events. Everyone figured Jason and Davina were dead, but now that there's evidence, it seems almost fake, like there's more to their deaths.

The crowd slowly disperses, everyone returning home for the night. The weekend goes by slowly for Cheryl, her days filled with silence and her nights spent crying. Monday arrives, and Cheryl dreads facing the day. As per usual, she glares at everyone who dares look her way, almost stomping to her biology class. Two girls, who she doesn't bother to remember their names, take seats on either side of her. As their project begins, one of them leaves, and shares a look with the other.

Cheryl picks up the scalpel, the assignment being to dissect a frog. The girl asks her a question about Jason and Davina, resulting in Cheryl to stab the scalpel into the deceased amphibian. Principal Weatherbee enters the classroom, the sheriff by his side. The class watches as Cheryl rises from her chair.

"You're here for me, aren't you?" She asks, sticking her hands out.

"We don't have to do this." Sheriff Keller tells her.

"They'll find out soon enough."

"Find out what, Cheryl?" Archie asks her.

"That I'm guilty." Cheryl walks to the sheriff, turning around with her hands behind her back. Cold handcuffs clasp around her wrists, and the sheriff leads her out of the classroom. The entire student body watches as she's dragged into Weatherbee's office. "To clarify," Cheryl begins, "I didn't mean I was guilty of killing Jason and Davina. I loved them more than I do myself. But, I am guilty of lying about what happened on July 4th."

"The autopsy puts their deaths on July 11. When was the last time you saw them?"

"It was July 4th."

"Cheryl, in your own words, what happened at Sweetwater River?"

"The plan was bananas, even for me. Jason and Davina wanted to leave Riverdale and never come back. They asked for my help for my help to stage a tragic accident, so our parents and Davina's parents wouldn't come after them. Our story would be that we went for an early morning boat ride, and the boat tipped and capsized, and they drowned. We made it to the other side dry as bones and said goodbye on the Greendale side of Sweetwater River. They promised to call as soon as they found a well hidden and safe place. A few weeks, at the most. I waited for them to call every day, an email, something. But nothing came." Cheryl tells sheriff Keller.

"Anyone else know about the plan?" Cheryl shakes her head. "And they just wanted to run away? Fake their own deaths? Doesn't that seem cruel? Maybe this is all just a web of lies you're spinning to cover your tracks."

"I didn't kill them!" Cheryl screeches at him. "There was a gunshot that morning. We heard a gunshot. Maybe whoever killed them took a shot that morning and missed." Penelope and Clifford Blossom enter the room, angry looks on their faces. They drag their daughter out of the room, demanding she tell them everything.

Don't hate me. But, this story isn't over. I know y'all have watched the show and know how it ends, but this isn't necessarily following the show. I've got my own twists in this story.
So PLEASE continue reading, because y'all are gonna want to see how this ends.