Chapter 6

Some day in the future

I run through the woods, branches scratching at my arms and face. The dull moonlight acts as my compass guiding me where to go. I skid to stop, my bare feet digging into the ground. The dark blue haze of Sweetwater River gazes at me, daring me to cross. Threatening foot steps wake me up from my daydream, and with a deep breath, I plunge into the river, the sudden coldness sending chills down my spine. I hear them falter, deciding not to take the actions I just took, and I smile. Maybe I finally have a chance at freedom.

The bay appears in my view and I swim as hard as I can. Once my feet hit the sand, I take off, running to the only person that can help me. I bang on their back door, hoping their parents aren't home. Their back light turns on, and I see they have all their friends over. Everyone walks outside, shocked looks on their faces.

"Did you miss me?" They continue to stare, mouths agape. "Cmon guys, I'm not some alien. You can stop looking at me like that."

"Davina?"

"Who else would I be?"

"We thought you were dead. The police, they found your body."

"It was a fake, obviously. It had to be believable. People had to think I was gone."

"Why?"

"It wasn't safe for me. He was after me. I figured if he thought I was dead, he wouldn't be able to hurt me. But he somehow knew I wasn't dead and he found me. I've been running from him since this afternoon. I lost him back at Sweetwater River. But I can't go back, no where is safe for me. I need your help. Please."

"I know a place, he'll never find you. You'll be safe. But we have to tell someone your alive. Cheryl, your parents."

"No! They can't know, not my parents. They're part of it, too."

"Okay, we won't tell anyone. But what about Jason?"

"I can't tell you, not yet. It's not safe. Will you help me?"

"Of course."

Just a sneak peek of what's to come. I hope you guys liked it. Thanks for reading!