Chapter 10

If there was ever something Father and Mother told me not to do, it was to enter the basement

If there was ever something Father and Mother told me not to do, it was to enter the basement. Father goes there every night after supper, spending hours upon hours doing who knows what. Sebastian, even though he's almost prepped to take over, is not allowed there either.

"Father and Clifford went golfing, now we just have to wait for Mother to go to bed." Sebastian tells me as we walk down the stairs. Almost two hours later, Mother finally retires to her bedroom, bidding us goodnight as she ascends the stairs. We wait until the sound of her door closing echoes into the living room, quickly springing up and heading towards the old door. Sebastian hesitantly pushes it up, us cringing at the slight creak that emits from the action. We slowly descend the stairs, entering into an unusual sight. All different kinds of knives, guns, and other weapons line the walls. A long mahogany desk rests in the center of the room, the top completely bare. I walk to the front of it, opening the top drawer, which I find is completely empty. Same with the rest of them.

"This makes no sense. Why is every drawer empty?" I question out loud. Sebastian suddenly appears next to me, opening the middle drawer hastily. He traces the sides, letting out a quiet cheer as one of the sides falls down. "A fake drawer? What's in it?" Sebastian pulls out a thick envelope, the sides slightly ripped. He carefully opens it, pulling out a stack of papers. I pick them up, scanning over them. I gasp as I read the fifth page, the papers sliding out of my grip and landing with a harsh thud on the ground. "Oh my gosh. This isn't real is it?" Sebastian picks up the papers, having the same reaction I did when he finished.

"It is." He whispers, coming to a realization. "Uncle told us, remember?" I slowly nod.

"Yeah, I just didn't want to believe it. But that's not it. Seb, they kill people. Our parents, they murder innocent people, people with families. How could they do this?" Seb stands in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulder.

"We mustn't let them know we know. They can't find out."

"We can't just sit back and do nothing! We have to stop them!" I quietly yell, pacing back and forth.

"If they find out, they will kill us. We need to act like nothing's changed." I go to argue with him, but the sound of Fathers car pulling up causes us to freeze. We share a look before quickly running up the stairs and sitting on the couches, pretending like we didn't just reveal our parents big lie. Father enters the living room, drunkenly stomping his way up the stairs. He pauses half way up, turning around and realizing Sebastian and I are in the room.

"Lazy children." He mutters before continuing to his room. I furrow my eyebrows, confused by his words. I shrug before going to my room, Sebastian following after me.

"Remember," He whispers into my ear, "say nothing."

And there is short chapter 10. Sorry for not updating in a while. I started school and cheer practice last week. And practice is at 6 in the morning and I live half an hour away so I wake up every single day at 4:30 and I've been really tired and it took me a couple days to write this. But anyways, in case you guys are confused, Polly and Jason are never going to be a thing in this story. Nothing ever or will ever happen between them. Polly just has a crush on him and Davina's protective over him so that's why she was so rude to Polly in the flashback. Kay, so thanks for reading! I hope you guys liked it!