Chapter 20

Cheryl stands in front of the River Vixens, judging them as they perform their dance

Cheryl stands in front of the River Vixens, judging them as they perform their dance. She watches as Veronica struts towards the front, shaking her head.

"Stop!" She calls. "Stand down, Vixens. And listen up. The weather's predicting a downpour the night of the rally, but already you're raining on my parade. With Jason and Davina so present in our collective consciousness, all eyes will be on me." Some of the girls roll their eyes, fed up with hearing Cheryl complain for the twentieth time about how terrible the dance is. "Will this beautiful, exotic, hothouse flower drown under the towns scrutiny? Or be swamped by her emotions? The answer is 'no' and 'no.' I need star power. I need the Pussycats. Stay looks and limber ladies, I need to make a phone call." Cheryl walks off, quickly calling Josie. Josie, besides Davina, was the only other friend she had. Josie gets her personality, doesn't get offended when Cheryl snaps or says something snarky. Josie agrees to perform, and Cheryl heads back to continue practice.

The pep assembly begins, rain pouring down hard. The dance routine ends, Cheryl standing besides Josie as they announce the football team. The boys run through the banner, Archie appearing first. His jersey sways as he runs, his red hair clinging to his forehead. Cheryl stands, frozen in shock. In her eyes, he's not Archie, he's Jason, smiling back at her. Another figures enters her view. Betty Cooper. But with her uniform on and her blue eyes shining in the lights, she's Davina. Not able to handle it anymore, Cheryl flees off the stage, sprinting to he school. She runs into the locker room, collapsing onto the bench. She breaks into tears, shoulders shaking as she sobs. Someone wraps their arms around her. Veronica Lodge. She crushes the new girl into a hug, crying into her shoulder.

"They're gone. They're dead."

"I know." Veronica says, trying to comfort the girl.

"No, you don't understand. They were supposed to come back. I'm all alone."

"You're not alone. It's okay." Cheryl pulls back, wiping the mascara from under her eyes. She exits the locker room, deciding to go home instead of staying for the rest of the  rally.

~

Jughead Jones enters his home, a small room at the drive in theatre. He plops down, picking up a piece of paper that rests underneath his pillow. He smiles sadly at it, a letter with an old photograph.

Juggie,
I know I haven't always been the best cousin. For so long I've wanted nothing more than to be your partner in class projects, eat lunch with you, or even just talk to you in public, but my mother had forbidden it. It seems lame and makes me feel like a coward by admitting it, but I've always been afraid of my parents. I'm sorry to say it took me so many years to realize that I shouldn't care about what they think of me. Besides Cheryl and Jason, you were the only person who wouldn't judge me for being myself. Not even Sebastian could do that.

By now, I'm sure you know I'm gone. All I ask, is that you stick to your brains. You're smart, you can figure anything out. This sounds confusing, I know, but you'll know soon enough.

I'm not supposed to tell you this, but I need you to know. Here's the secret, I'm not dead. I didn't drown. Jason and I decided to run away, for reasons you'll have to ask Cheryl. We faked our deaths so no one would come looking for us. Besides Cheryl, you are the only on there person who knows the truth. You can't tell anyone, please.

I promise I will contact you as soon as Jason and I get things settled. You're my best friend. I love you, Juggie. Take care of uncle will you?

Love, Davvy

For over two months Jughead has stared at this letter. He reads it before bed every night. Before their bodies were washed upon the shore, he had waited patiently for another letter, but none had came. Now, he tears up just by reading the first sentence. He moves on to the picture, one of him and Davina. They were around seven years old, and had won the science fair together. Jughead had always been taller, but the height difference still makes him laugh.

He sets the letter and picture underneath his pillow again, laying down and struggling to fall asleep. After a while, he manages to doze off, but the blissful darkness doesn't stay for long.

~

I run through the woods, branches scratching at my arms and face. The dull moonlight acts as my compass guiding me where to go. I skid to stop, my bare feet digging into the ground. The dark blue haze of Sweetwater River gazes at me, daring me to cross. Threatening foot steps wake me up from my daydream, and with a deep breath, I plunge into the river, the sudden coldness sending chills down my spine. I hear them falter, deciding not to take the actions I just took, and I smile. Maybe I finally have a chance at freedom.

Chapter 20!! Guys I'm getting excited! But first, let's talk about last nights episode.
Fred is okay!!! Thank goodness, I was gonna be upset if he died.
Speaking of deaths, I'm honestly kinda glad Grundy is gone. I personally feel like her part was kinda pointless to the plot or contribution to the show.
Okay, what's up with Cheryl?? She is my favorite character, but I am so confused on what's going on with her. She freaking hurt her mom! And nana Rose is still missing!! Like, what happened to her?!
And last, Hiram. We barely met him and I already hate him. He is beyond creepy and makes me kinda uncomfortable.
Anyways, thanks y'all for reading! I hope you guys liked it!