Prologue

Hermione Granger was sat in the library waiting very impatiently for her potions project partner. She was already upset that she had been paired with this particular student in the first place. In fact, she had tried to protest with Professor Slughorn that she would be better off working by herself and she did not want this student to hold her back. He had assured her that the student was very bright and just needed someone to make him work hard. She didn't understand why she had to be the person to make him do so.

Five minutes later, she saw him come around the corner at top speed, his blonde hair disheveled and his usually pale face flushed red. He skidded to a stop in front of her ready to apologize for his tardiness.

"You're late, Malfoy," she said simply as she stood up and collected her bag. She started to walk away but he followed her close on her heels. As she exited the library she spun around, anger apparent in the scowl on her face.

"Let's get one thing straight. I don't like you and I don't like that you're my partner for this project. However, seeing as Professor Slughorn does not care about my obvious disdain for you, the unfortunate reality is that we're partners. Do you know what that word means?"

She didn't give him a chance to answer. "Partner. Meaning that we work together. And distribute the work equally. Do NOT expect me to carry you on this project."

"I don't expect you to carry me Hermione. I will do my full share of the work," he replied.

Her stoic face faltered a bit when she heard him use her first name but she recovered quickly. "Well alright then. Let's get to work."

They worked together on the project, meeting three times a week for a month, each time becoming more and more friendly to one another; She found his sarcasm amusing and he found her blunt honesty refreshing. To Hermione's great surprise, he was a very good student. He feigned insult at her shock, informing her that he had been just behind her in marks since their first year. Once the project was over, they continued to meet in the library to study together. He had apologized to her for the way that he had treated her and her friends over the years and she was more than willing to forgive him. Ginny was very interested in Hermione's newfound friendship with "Draco" as Hermione had begun calling him. Before Ginny and Hermione returned to Hogwarts for their seventh year, Ron and Hermione had decided they were better off as friends. Ever since then, Ginny had taken a keen interest in Hermione's love life, or lack thereof. Despite Hermione's insistence that she and Draco were just friends, Ginny had told Harry that she thought they were destined to be together.

Upon graduation, Hermione took up a post in the ministry of magic's magical law enforcement department and Draco started studying to become a healer. They left on good terms but life got busy and they lost contact with each other. That is, until one fateful day in November, six years later. And as you may have guessed, that is where our story begins.