Chapter 8

Hermione woke on Christmas morning with a smile on her face. She crawled out of bed and was putting the tea on when an unfamiliar owl tapped on her window. She opened the window and took a small package from the owl before it flew away.

She looked at the package, wondering who it could be from. She was going to see all of the Weasley's, the Potter's, her parents and Andromeda and Teddy later that day so there was no reason for them to send her a present via the post.

She opened the package and took out the card inside. Her name was printed in very neat cursive script on the outside of the card.

Happy Christmas Hermy! I had fun helping you with your Christmas shopping last week. I do recall an agreement we made not to exchange gifts. But, I've never been much of a rule follower so I hope you like your gift. I'll be spending Christmas evening at Pansy and Blaise's after stopping round my parents'. Theo will be there with his latest slag so we're counting on you to come by and make her feel incompetent. Seriously though, if you have some time Pansy said she'd love for you to stop by.

Best wishes,

Draco

P.S. We haven't had time to hang out just the two of us in a few weeks. Say you'll ring in the new year with me.

Hermione found herself smiling at his words as her heart pounded in her chest. She absentmindedly wondered why that always happened when she thought of Draco before shaking her head and removing the tea kettle from the stove as it started to whistle.

"What's wrong with me?" she thought to herself. "Draco is just a very good friend."

She opened the package and squealed excitedly when she examined its contents. Draco had placed a very clever undetectable extension charm on the box. Sitting on top was a small box that said "open last". She took it out and set it to the side. Directly underneath where the box had been was a book, Great Muggleborn Witches and Wizards of the 20th Century. There was a bookmark inside so she opened to the page to find a picture and biography of herself. She smiled and set the book aside. The next gift was a framed copy of the first article that declared them a couple. Hermione snorted at this and reached deeper into the box. There were a few more books that Hermione was excited to read and a box of her favorite candy.

When the expanded box was empty, Hermione returned to the box that was supposed to be opened last. She opened the box and gasped in surprise. She could have cried it was so beautiful. Inside the box was a delicate snow globe that featured a beautiful winter scene with a girl that looked very much like Hermione. She shook it and Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers started to play as the girl in the snow globe danced in the snow.

An enchanted snow globe!? Hermione was awestruck. How did he remember?! They had talked about it during seventh year and that was so long ago...

"What's your favorite thing about the Christmas season Herms?" Draco asked, looking out the window at the rapidly falling snow.

Hermione looked up from her book. "Will you PLEASE stop calling me that?"

He smirked. "Okay. I'll call you Hermy instead."

She rolled her eyes. He leaned forward and pulled her book out of her hands. "Come on! Take a break and answer my question."

"Okay," she sighed and looked out of the window. "There's so many things to be honest, I can't pick just one. The way the snow crunches underneath my boots or clings to my eyelashes when it falls. Catching snowflakes on my tongue and making snow angels. Snowball fights until your fingers are numb with cold. Coming inside with rosy cheeks and warming up with homemade apple cider. Oh! And snow globes--I LOVE snow globes. My mum has a fantastic collection. And the music! Christmas carols that make you want to smile. My favorite has to be Waltz of the Flowers by Tchaikovsky, a muggle composer, although it's not really a carol..."