Chapter 23

Draco was just drifting off to sleep when he heard Hermione calling his name. He rolled over and saw her perched on her knees in her silk pyjamas, looking down at him with a worried look on her face.

"What's wrong love?" He asked, propping himself up on his elbow.

She chewed nervously on her bottom lip before jumping out of the bed abruptly and pacing the room.

Draco sat up and grabbed his wand from the nightstand. "Lumos. Herms? What's wrong?"

"I want you!" She stopped pacing and folded her arms across her chest.

"Wh-what?"

"Draco!" She whined. "Please don't make me say it again!"

"Come here and talk to me Herms," he said, patting the bed next to him.

She sat down on the far side of the bed. He rolled his eyes and drew her to him. "What's the matter?" He asked, brushing a stray hair out of her face.

"I know I said I wanted to wait until we get married, but I'm going insane! My body is...reacting to you. Just being in the same room as you is...difficult."

"Is that all?" He chuckled.

"How can you be so calm about it?"

"Hermione, you're pregnant. Your hormones are running wild right now. It's perfectly normal. And if you want to amend the agreement that's okay. It's not a big deal."

She sighed. "I know. But with everything that has been...forced upon us with our engagement, I wanted to control one thing. This was the one thing I could control! Your mother is controlling the wedding and even the timing of us getting married was determined by your father--"

"The bastard," Draco interjected.

Hermione smiled softly at him. "Yes, the bastard. Anyway, this was the one thing we could control and we managed to mess that up too. I know I'm being ridiculous. I'm already pregnant, it doesn't really matter."

"Hermione, I'm sorry." He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. "This is all my fault. I will talk to my mother about her backing off a bit okay? Though I doubt she'll listen to me. Don't beat yourself up about wanting to have sex though; it's completely normal."

"I suppose you're right." She shifted away from him and laid down. "Not tonight though; I don't remember my first time, so I want the second time to be special."

Draco smirked at her back and slid behind her, pulling her closer to him in the bed. He heard her sharp gasp and whimper as he pressed himself to her and whispered in her ear. "I promise I'll make it worth the wait. Goodnight Herms."

Draco fell asleep quickly after that, but Hermione lay awake trying to steady her heart for awhile before falling asleep.

****************************************

Hermione woke the next morning and found a tray of food on her nightstand with a note from Draco.

Good morning Lady Granger,

I had some paperwork to attend to for my proposal. I'm in the library. Come see me after you've eaten. I want your opinion on something.

Love,

D.M.

Hermione smiled and ate the toast and eggs that Draco had left for her. She showered and dressed before heading into the library where Draco was hard at work.

"Good morning," she greeted her fiance, crossing the room and placing her arms around his neck.

Draco turned his chair around and pulled her into his lap, kissing her soundly. "Mmmm," he said with his eyes closed. "You taste like spearmint toothpaste. Did you sleep well?"