Chapter 16

"Hermione relax. It's not a big deal." Draco looked down at the brunette witch at his side as she fidgeted with the hem of her skirt.

"It is a big deal Draco! Your mother already dislikes me and I don't want that dislike to grow because you dressed me like some tawdry whore."

He rolled his eyes. "That's a bit dramatic considering the fact that you're wearing a knee length skirt and showing no cleavage."

"But the skirt is so tight," she said pulling at it some more.

His eyes drifted to her backside. "I can see that."

"Hey! My eyes are up here!" She crossed her arms and scowled. "Just ring the bell Draco, it's cold."

"Trust me Herms, mother will like this better than that awful dress you were wearing earlier," he said, kissing her forehead.

"Whatever. Just ring the bell."

Draco sighed and pressed the doorbell to his mother's French cottage. Hermione's attire had caused an argument between the two before they had left his house and though she agreed to wear what he suggested, she was none too happy about it.

The door swung open to reveal an ever regal Narcissa Malfoy. She was wearing a long black dress that fell past her knees and towering heels that set her several inches taller than Hermione, adding to her intimidating persona.

"Draco. Ms. Granger. You're late," She spun on her heel and retreated into the foyer.

Draco rolled his eyes and followed her inside, pulling Hermione along with him. "Two minutes Mother. We were two minutes late."

Hermione examined her surroundings as they walked into an ornate dining room, Draco bickering with his mother the entire time.

"Enough Draco," Narcissa said, standing at one end of the table. "Aren't you going to offer Ms. Granger a seat?"

Draco scowled at his mother before smiling at Hermione and pulling her chair out for her.

"I could have done it myself." She glared him, flopping into the chair crossly.

'Great,' Draco thought to himself. 'Both my witch and my mother are cross with me.'

Draco sat down in the seat next to Hermione and gripped her thigh firmly. She let out a tiny yelp and tried to push his hand away.

"Is everything alright Ms. Granger?" Narcissa asked, sitting down and placing her napkin in her lap.

"Yes Mrs. Malfoy, I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

An awkward silence fell over the table while they waited for their meal to be served. Draco pushed his hand further up Hermione's leg prompting her to blush and shift uncomfortably in her chair.

The doorbell rang after a minute or so and Narcissa went to answer the door.

"Draco!" Hermione hissed, slapping his arm as soon as Narcissa was out of earshot. "What are you playing at?"

He smirked at her and pulled her chair closer to his. "You're just so tantalizing Herms but I'll stop if you forgive me."

Hermione frowned and tried to scoot away from him. "Why should I?"

"Because you love me."

She glanced over at him and made the mistake of meeting his gaze. She felt herself drowning in the pools of deep grey that were his eyes and conceded. "Fine. I'll forgive you. But you owe me a date."

Narcissa returned with a tall, dark haired man that Hermione recognized from work. There was a young boy standing in their shadow, hiding behind Narcissa's skirt.