Chapter 26

Draco stopped walking abruptly, almost knocking Hermione over in the process. He set her upright and stared at her confusedly. "For our what?"

Hermione smiled sheepishly. "Surprise?"

"We're getting married today?"

"Only if you want to," she said quickly. "I just figured all of our loved ones are here and we can avoid the press because they're inside distracted by the party, and it can be on our terms--"

Draco shut her up with a searing kiss. "Hermione Granger, you wonderful witch. Of course I'll marry you today! If it were up to me, I would have married you years ago."

Hermione beamed up at him and laughed, taking him by the hand. "Come with me."

They entered an area of the garden secluded by magic. Both Hermione and Draco gasped. Though Hermione had planned the surprise wedding, she hadn't yet seen the fruits of her labor. Their close friends and family were seated in an arch around a beautiful fountain where Kingsley stood waiting to perform the ceremony. All of the Weasley's and their significant others were there, aside from Charlie, Bill and Fleur. The Potter's, Draco's mother and her beau, Luna and her husband as well as Neville, Parvati Patil, Hannah Abbot and Dean and Seamus were also present. Hermione's parents and grandmother were seated in the front row talking with Harry and Mrs. Weasley. Fairy lights were strung from the trees and soft classical music was playing in the background.

Draco turned to Hermione, astonished by what was before them and kissed her forehead. "This is amazing Herms!" He said incredulously. "When did you have time to do all of this?"

"Pansy and Ginny put it all together really. I just told them what I wanted. Do you like it?"

"It's perfect."

Mathias Granger walked up to the pair and extended his hand to Draco. "Not crazy about just meeting you a few days ago and having to give my daughter away so quickly. But it's very clear that you love her so I suppose I'll allow it."

Jean joined them as Draco and Mathias shook hands. She snorted at her husband. "As if Hermione needs your permission." She turned to Draco. "They're ready for you up front Draco." She smiled at her daughter and handed her a bouquet of chrysanthemums, pressing a kiss to her cheek, before guiding Draco up to the front where Blaise and Theo were standing with Ginny and Pansy.

Mathias turned his attention to his daughter, his only child. "My sweet Hermione." He pulled her into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "You're going to make a great wife and mother. If you're happy, I'm happy too."

"I am dad. I really am." She smiled and took his arm so he could lead her to Draco.

Everyone else faded into the background as Hermione walked toward Draco, toward her future. She thought about their crazy journey to each other. From their last year at Hogwarts to their extended separation. Finding out about Lucius' nefarious plans and Narcissa's other family. Finding out she was pregnant to now: the moment where they would become husband and wife. It was a little sooner than she had planned but then again, life has a way of getting in the way of plans more often than not.

Hermione and Mathias reached the fountain where Draco was waiting with a wide smile.

"I would say take care of my daughter but Hermione's proven time and time again that she doesn't need anyone to take care of her." Everyone laughed lightheartedly. "So I'll just say, take care of each other," Mathias said, as he placed Hermione's hand in Draco's.

Kingsley began the ceremony and soon it was time for them to say their vows and exchange rings.

Hermione leaned in toward Draco and whispered, "I know I didn't give you time to prepare anything so don't worry, we can just say the generic vows and repeat after Kingsley. And we can do the rings later."