Epilogue

5 months later - 2:00am New Year's Eve

Draco rolled over in bed and reached for Hermione only to find her side of the bed empty. He sat bolt upright in bed and grabbed his wand silently casting lumos. Where could she be? It was the middle of the night. 

"Hermione?" he called. There was no reply. He got up and padded down the hallway of their home calling her name repeatedly. He tried to calm himself, knowing that the security charms would have alerted him if something was amiss, but sometimes the memories of the horrors of the war creeped in and pushed away logic. He saw that the light was on in the library and breathed a sigh of relief. "Hermione? There you are. What are you doing out of bed?"

She was sitting in one of the large cushy chairs with her feet up. Her hair was piled into a messy bun on top of her head and she was balancing a stack of parchment on her large stomach. There was an empty container of ice cream on the side table and she still had the spoon in her mouth.

She peered over the top of the book and smiled wearily at Draco. "Couldn't sleep. I'm so uncomfortable." She tried to sit up some more and her face turned red with effort but she didn't move anywhere. She groaned loudly. "When is this kid going to come? I'm a week past my due date and I'm miserable!"

Draco knew she was uncomfortable and bored. She had stopped working over three weeks prior when she was put on bedrest. She was frustrated because she had been in the middle of finishing up the paperwork for the first Malfoy Hotel open to muggles and Draco refused to allow her to bring work home. He insisted that he could take care of it and that she should rest. Malfoy International had flourished with Draco and Hermione at the helm. She spent more days there than required and had an office built right next to Draco's in the executive suite. Hermione, like Draco, enjoyed the challenges that running the family business presented.

Draco picked her feet up off of the ottoman where they were resting and sat down, rubbing her tired feet lovingly. She exhaled contently and gave him another tired smile.

"It'll be any day now love. Just try to relax. Can I get you anything?"

Hermione sighed. "No. Let's just go back to bed."

Draco helped her out of the chair and she waddled back to their room, flopping onto the bed unceremoniously.

She groaned again. "Draco can you help me lay down please?"

Draco walked around the bed smiling at his frustrated wife.

"What are you smiling at?" she snapped.

He brushed a stray hair out of her face. "You. You're so beautiful."

Hermione's face softened. "I look like a cow right now. How could you possibly think that I'm beautiful."

He helped her lay back and get comfortable before joining her in the bed. He cuddled up close to her and held her tightly. "You'll always be the most beautiful girl in the world to me Herms. I love you."

When Hermione didn't respond he looked over at her and smiled as she snored softly.

Draco woke later that morning to find the spot next to him empty again. He got up and walked down to the library, expecting to find Hermione in there. He was surprised when she wasn't. He eventually found her in the nursery, sitting in the rocking chair tracing patterns on her belly. Draco stood leaning against the doorframe, silently watching her.

She looked up and smiled. "Good morning. What do you want to do for New Year's Eve?"

He crossed the room and sat at her feet, taking them in his hands to massage them. "Well Harry Potter and company are coming for dinner along with the Zabini's and maybe Theo and Elise. And I think my mother is dropping off Aries at some point as well so she and Joe can take a daytrip. But until then we can spend the day in here or in the library. How does that sound?"