Chapter 6

Ariana stood in front of the floor to ceiling window staring at the city's horizon beyond the pool. It was giving her a sense of freedom and space. Being down there, in the chaos of it all, it felt like everything was closing in on her. But standing there, being able to see the now shrunken buildings felt like she could finally breathe at how freeing it was.

Ariana felt him before she saw him. Jace walked into the kitchen, his footsteps quiet. His gaze found her immediately as he went to grab a cup of coffee. Jace watched her from where he stood, behind the kitchen island sipping his coffee, in his three-piece suit. The only sign of life was the rise and fall of her shoulders as she breathed. That could also be programmed, you never can tell these days. Ariana turned her head and her gaze to meet his and he almost choked on his coffee.

"Problem?"

Jace cleared his throat and shook his head.
"No."

She couldn't possibly know what he was thinking.

"Breakfast?"

"If you want to have something, I'll wait for you."

"I meant you."

"I had two cups of coffee. I'm good."

Jace's brow lifted without him intending it to.
"You skipped dinner last night. Aren't you hungry?"

"I'll grab an early lunch."

He was quiet for a moment.
"Alright then."

Jace stepped out from behind the kitchen island and made his way towards the living area where she was. Their gazes unwavering as he slowly approached her. She felt her heart skip a beat and clenched down on her jaw, ignoring it. This felt like some kind of test she wasn't made known of before it started.

He stopped a few feet away from her, hand in his pocket as he sipped on his coffee, eyes still on her. Ariana was getting uncomfortable with whatever it was that he was doing and blinked. She was surprised by the smile that lit up his entire face and she almost smiled at how contagious it was but clenched her jaw even harder.

Was he seriously doing a no-blink contest?

Ariana rolled her eyes and walk away.
"Let's go."

Jace almost chuckled at how he'd been able to get yet another reaction out of her. He placed his empty cup on the coffee table and followed her. He stepped outside and shut the door behind him.

"Good morning, Agent Feilman." Marvis greeted as he was about to make his way around the car to open the door for Jace.

"I've got it Marvis." Ariana said, "And please call me Ari."

Jace frowned at that.
How was Marvis allowed to call her by her nickname and he wasn't given that option?

Marvis smiled as Ariana held the door for him.
"Alright, Ari."

Jace had his gaze on her but hers was turned away from him as he reached the car, probably avoiding him and maybe a little grumpy after what happened inside.

"If you're both done flirting, can we go?"

Marvis cleared his throat and got into the car. Jace followed suit and Ariana shut his door and got into the passenger's seat.

There was a little traffic on the way to the company, but Marvis was able to beat it before Jace was supposed to arrive.

Ariana frowned when she saw the commotion in front of the company building as Marvis neared it. Jace's gaze was on his laptop and looked up when Marvis parked.