Chapter 16

Something felt different.
Ariana thought as she stared into the mirror after completing her morning rituals.

It was probably the purple bruise on her jaw which, as predicted, looked worse than the day before but not as bad as she thought it would be. Ariana opened the middle drawer and took out her small makeup bag. She opened it up and took out the concealer.

Every girl needs one for emergencies.

After concealing a good portion of the bruise, she dabbed a little bit of loose powder over the concealer before she got dressed then went to the kitchen. She had a quick breakfast and stood at her favourite spot.

Jace went down the stairs buttoning up his suit jacket. He smiled when she saw Ariana standing at her favourite spot as he walked into the kitchen to pour himself a cup of coffee.
"Good morning."

Ariana turned around and met his gaze and a smile on his face.

Ariana returned his smile,
"Good morning, Jace."

Jace's mouth twitched at the mention of his name and the silence filled the room as he sipped on his coffee.

"We should get going." Ariana said after she figured he was done with his coffee.

They arrived at the office later, got into the elevator and headed to the fortieth floor. In the elevator, Jace couldn't help but glance at her and he noticed she had no bruise.

"What happened to your bruise?"

"Makeup."

Jace smiled with a slight scoff. Ariana glanced at him with a raised brow.
"What?" She asked,

"It's just really hard picturing you as a makeup person."

"A concealer is essential. Even guys need it."

"Right." He was unconvinced,

They stepped out of the elevator and headed towards his office.

"Good morning, Mr. Black, you have an important call with Mr. Malcolm in a few minutes which can't be rescheduled...again." Bridget said as they approached her desk,

Jace smiled at her,
"Thank you, Bridget. I'll take it."

"Morning, Bridget" Ariana greeted,

Bridget looked at her and then at Jace then back and to her and him again.
"Well, look at that." Bridget smiled and then got back to work.

What was that?
Ariana thought.

Ariana glanced at Jace who had a smile on his face. She sighed and ignored it and then followed him into his office. She was no longer staying outside his office, not after the picture they received of them inside the restaurant.

Ariana went and stood on the left side of his office, her usual place, and stared down at the street below. Jace looked at her as he took off his suit jacket and placed it on the rack behind his desk. Just as he sat down, there was a knock on his office door which made Ariana turn towards his door.

"Come in." Jace said,

"Your coffee," Bridget came in and placed a cup on his desk.

Bridget looked at Ariana,
"Care for a cup?"

"No, thank you."

"Okay," Bridget smiled, "The call should come in so..."

The telephone rang and Bridget went around his desk to pick up the call, putting it on speaker.
"Good morning, Mr. Malcolm." Bridget greeted, "Mr. Black is ready for you."