Chapter 49

Ariana sped along the highway in silence, both her and Jace thinking of what they'd just escaped. 

Ariana glanced at Jace.
"Are you okay?"

Asking him didn't seem enough, she wanted to confirm by herself that he was okay. But first, she had to get them somewhere safe.

Jace looked at her.
"Are you?" He threw her question back at her instead of answering.

She sighed softly. She had been trained to prepare for the worst and even though she had gone to the party ready for the worst, she felt something unusual in her heart. An ache she couldn't get rid of.

"I am." She answered in a whisper, knowing well enough that she was anything but okay right now.

Jace couldn't take his gaze off her and she could feel his gaze on her but didn't say anything but just kept driving.

"You just missed the turn home," Jace said,

"We're not going there," She told him, "With what we just came out of, it's obvious they've been planning this and going home right now wouldn't be a wise decision."

"Right," Jace sighed, he wasn't thinking clearly else he would've known that, "I have another place I don't..."

"We can't go there either," Ariana told him, "Nowhere under your name and nothing expensive. We need to stay out of their radar."

Jace sighed knowing she was right. The first place they would look for him would be his home, then the office and anywhere under his name, then they'll check penthouses, they wouldn't think to look for him anywhere else.

"So where are we going?" Jace asked

"My place." Ariana answered.

Jace snapped his gaze at Ariana and stared at her, surprised. Not that she had her own place but that she thought of taking him there for safety.

Ariana felt Jace's gaze on her face again so she sent him a quick glance.
"Don't worry." She said, "It's not under my name and we'll be safe there for tonight."

Jace looked away and stared at the brightly lit city in front of them.

He had to inform Jack, and Ariana had to report back to him. Jack was likely to send him to a safe house along with Ariana.

A few minutes later, Ariana pulled up inside the garage of the house and shut it behind them.

She turned off the engine and glanced at him.
"Let's go." She opened the door and stepped out, Jace followed suit.

They walked toward the door inside the garage leading inside. Ariana took out the key from her clutch and unlocked the door. Jace pushed and held the door, he let Ariana walk in before he walked in after her and shut the door and bolted it behind them as Ariana turned on the lights.

Jace turned around and followed Ariana down the narrow hallway, walking past the stairs, they turned left into the medium-sized living room and Jace looked around, smiling.

The black couch and grey curtains were so Ariana, the white tiles and walls complimented the dark-room furnished room. When Ariana had returned back after being discharged, she'd gotten her mum the house and furnished it.

"Nice place," Jace said,

"Thanks," Ariana stood behind a couch, one hand placed on top of the couch and the other tugged away at her shoe, one after the other.

Ariana turned to look at him standing barefoot,
"So...?"

"So...?" Jace asked as he walked closer to her and stopped a foot away from her.