Chapter 13

Jace sat with his back to his desk as well as his office staring out of the window at nothing in particular. The view from his office was usually very calming for him but today he wasn't feeling particularly calm. He was staring out but his mind was very far away.

He was lost in his thoughts and had no idea when Bridget walked in and stopped at his desk talking to him thinking he was listening when he actually wasn't. Jace didn't hear a single thing she said until she yelled his name snapping him out of his reverie.

Jace spun around in his chair to face her.
"Yes, Bridget?" He sounded distracted and it didn't slip past Bridget.

She stared at him.

"What?!"

She kept on staring.

"What is the matter, Bridget?"

"Sir, I'm just worried because you asked me to cancel your schedule including the Malcolm appointment. You've been trying hard to get that one and you just cancelled it."

"I didn't know that was today," Jace sat up and scrunched his face.

"So, you forgot about it too and you don't sound worried,"

"I can't work like this."

"Like what?" She asked. "Is there something wrong?"

Jace lifted his gaze up at her and sighed then leaned forward and put his elbow on his desk, his hand holding his head up.

Ariana stood on her feet as Walter approached her.

"Been a while since I've seen ya up here."

"Yea. Been busy."

"That job of yours is keeping your hands full."

"It is."

"Glad to see that you're still the same fearless lass I knew," he said "Nothing ever scared ya'"

Ariana smiled,
"Except you"

"Bull-crap," He said, "If I still got that army thing going on at this age, I would be out there on the field helping and not here doing old man stuff."

"You're not old Walter,"

"You tell that to my knee," He scoffed

Ariana smiled to herself and said nothing.

"How's ya' mother doing?"

"Same as before,"

"She'll come out of it. It's just a matter of time."

Ariana nodded, hoping he was right but she'd been waiting for so long.
"That's what you keep saying. But then how long do I have to wait?"

"I knew ya' mother before you was born. She's just as strong as you are."

"Hopefully she's stronger cause I don't feel so strong, right now," Ariana confessed,

Walter studied her for a moment,
"Something been on your mind lately. Or should I say, someone?"

Ariana stared at him,
"It's the job I'm on. That's all."

"Hmm," He narrowed his eyes at her before he turned around to leave,

"Walter!" Ariana called out, "What does that mean?"

"It's all a matter of time. You'll figure it out."

"But if you know, why do I have to figure it out?"

Walter smiled,
"Nice seeing you again kiddo,"