Chapter 30

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Black," The detective shut his notepad,

"Please just catch the MF who did this."

"That's our top priority," He gave the two of them both a curt nod before he turned around and walked out of his room.

"You sure you want them handling this?" Jack asked,

"I just want them to get the name of the driver and I'll let you take things from there. You have a lot going on already."

"Was that everything you told him?"

"Yea," Jace said, "Nothing out of the ordinary."

"But there's something else."

"Mark was at the club so he knew when I left."

"Are you insinuating that he..."

"...tipped someone off?" Jace asked, "Yea."

Jace sighed.
"Have you seen her?"

Jack nodded.
"She's pretty beaten up."

Jace forced a ragged breath out.
"This is all my fault."

"How is this your fault?" He asked "You just said Mark was there..."

"Yes but...we got into an argument and it distracted her. We would be fine; she would be fine if I hadn't said that stupid thing."

"You guys got into an argument?" Jack asked, surprised.

"Like I said...stupid."

"Wow! I thought you were going to stay away."

"I tried. I just couldn't."

"Obviously. I told you what would happen if you went for it, look at what's happened," Jack said, "She's losing focus already."

"I can't stay away from her, Jack," Jace looked like he was in pain, "I tried and failed and it's just not working for me. She's...she's amazing."

He nodded.
"Just make sure she's ready to take the same risks as you are."

Jace clenched his jaw.

"I'm thinking of pulling her out until she's healed and ready to continue."

"Don't!" Jace said too quickly, "I need her around."

"She would be unable to do her job properly."

"I don't need her around to do her job. I need her around to look after her. She's as stubborn as a mule and I need to be there for her. Who's she going to go back to if you pull her out?"

Jack stayed quiet knowing very well she had no one to look after her. Her only family was in a coma.
"I don't think she'll agree to this."

"She doesn't have to know."

Jack shook his head and smiled.
"You are seriously whipped."

"It's a great feeling." Jace smiled.

Ariana's eyes snapped open and it felt like she was just shoved through a dark hole. Her body ached but it wasn't a pain she wasn't already familiar with. Her eyes felt sandy and heavy, she wanted to move but her muscles just won't listen to her. There was a force trying to keep her eyes shut, lulling her back to sleep and she was trying to fight it but it felt like it was winning.

She felt like she was...

Hit by a truck.
Her subconscious provided and it all came back in a flash.

She was keeping her head above that force and winning. She tried to get up but winced in pain, it radiated through her entire body. She reached for the button on her bedside and beeped for a nurse.