Chapter 33

Ariana hadn't said a word after the short conversation they had in his room. She was bored out of her mind and asked for her laptop. Jace had gladly gone to her room to get it for her, along with some of her clothes and other things she would need.

Ariana sat with her back to the headboard and her laptop in front of her while Jace sat next to her on the bed with his laptop. They both worked in silence until he called Bridget to reschedule all the meetings he'd missed and fixed a date for the ones he needed to attend when he got back. He had a lot of video conferences and he'd scheduled them for the following day because he needed the rest of the day to focus on Ariana and some office work.

Their silence was interrupted again when Ariana's phone rang. She picked up almost immediately.
"Shay" Ariana answered,

"Hey, heard you left the hospital. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," Ariana said, "It's just a minor injury, I'll be back on my feet in no time."

"Glad to hear that."

"How are things down there?"

"The director's getting all agents who have no current OP to work your accident."

Ariana sighed and Jace glanced at her for a moment,
"How's that going?"

"As well as you think." Shay said, "So I kind of overheard the director. He left you on the case because Mr. Black told him to."

"Yea, I was surprised."

"Well, just take care."

"Will do. Thanks for checking up on me, Shay."

"Of course. Bye."

They hung up and Ariana placed her phone back on the bedside table and stared into space.

"What's wrong?" Jace asked her,

Ariana turned to look at him.
"Nothing."

"Then why are you looking at me like that?"

She was silent for a moment too long as she really looked at him.
"Why did you do it?"

Jace frowned,
"Do what?"

"Tell the director not to pull me out."

Jace slowly let out a breath as Ariana watched him, waiting for him to give her an answer,
"Because the accident wasn't your fault and I know how much you love being out in the field and even though this isn't what you signed up for, I know it's better than staying locked away till you're back to one hundred," He said, "And also because I wanted you here."

Ariana stayed quiet and just nodded,
"Thank you."

Jace sighed in relief and smiled glad that he'd gotten that off his chest,
"You're welcome."

Ariana smiled back at him and it was that small smile she always wore. He hadn't been fortunate enough to experience a truly being happy that she'd smile so big, her cheeks would hurt. She smiled like she was scared of being too happy.

Jace turned to her just in time to see her shut her laptop and place it on the bedside table before she shifted in order to get up.

"Where are you going?" Jace immediately shut his laptop and kept it aside before he got up and rounded the bed.

"I'm bored of sitting here." She reached for her crutch.

"You want to go downstairs?" He asked her, "To the lanai?"

Ariana paused then lifted her gaze up to look at him wondering how he knew she wanted to go there but she kept quiet and Jace smiled like he knew exactly what she was thinking.