Chapter 11

Ariana already knew, from what Jace had told her, that they wouldn't leave a trail behind. But she had to cover her bases regardless, which meant watching the footage from the time they left the office till the invaders came into the office. Jack had sent some people from forensics to clean the office, hopefully, they'd find something she'd missed.

In the footage, there were two masked people, gloved and dressed in all black. Ariana stood behind one of the security guys and watched the footage. Jace had watched it with her the first time and the second and then on and on. She was looking for something, anything in their movements or what they were doing while they trashed the office that would give her a lead on who they were. All the while, she was aware of Jace standing behind her, she needed to focus and with him, it was proving difficult.

"Why don't you go back to work." She told Jace and he glanced at her. "The forensics team has left. Your office is clean."

Jace wanted to get to the bottom of this but then he realized he had Ariana for all that. This was the reason he'd told Jack about everything, so he could be able to focus on work and not let it all get to him.
"You're right."

Ariana was surprised at how easily he'd agreed with her but she didn't let it show. Jace left and then she sat down and peacefully watched the footage again and lost track of time.

"I-It's lunch time miss." Alfred, the security guy who sat beside her the entire time said,

Ariana glanced at him before she checked her wristwatch and lo and behold it actually was. She sighed then got up.

"Sorry Alfred," Ariana said, "Can you upload last night's footage into a drive and have it sent to Mr. Black's floor."

"Of course," he said "We should have done that from the beginning,"

The corner of Ariana's lips quirked up as she tried not to smile.
"We should have," She turned around to leave, "It was nice meeting you, Alfred."

"Same here miss."

"It's Ari," She turned to him, "And don't forget to send the flash or I'll be back here and I'll watch the whole thing again...with you."

"You'll have it, that's for sure." Ariana heard him as she left the control room and headed towards the elevator taking her to the fortieth floor.

Ariana stepped out of the elevator and headed towards Jace' office, returning Bridget's smile as she walked past her desk.

"Is he busy?" Ariana asked,

Bridget shook her head and Ariana headed straight into his, walking in without knocking. The first thing she noticed was that his office was clean and everything was back to its place. Most of the things were replaced like his desk, the sofa, the coffee table to list a few. Then she noticed Jace wasn't engrossed in his work like she thought he would be. His chair was turned facing the floor to ceiling window, the back of his chair facing her.

She quietly made her way to the right side of his office towards the floor to ceiling window. She looked down to the entrance of the company building at the busy road. She couldn't hear anything even though she was supposed to hear at least muffled sounds, but the glass was sound and bulletproof which was one of the reasons the invaders hadn't been able to break the glass from the footage she'd watched.

Jace had heard her the second she walked into his office. She'd tried to stay quiet but he'd heard her footsteps heading towards the other side of his office. Turning to look at her, she's assumed a position on the other side of his office, near the window, leaning against its frame.

Ariana felt him before she heard him. Her body tensed and her heart rate picked up. She had no idea why she hadn't heard him heading towards her body grew warm from the inside out. She wanted to turn around but didn't think that would be a good idea, then she felt his breath on her nape which sent shivers down her spine. Ariana placed her hand on the glass to steady herself. Whatever was happening to her wasn't normal, she'd never felt the way she was feeling at that moment.