Resurgent: How Allegiant Should Have Ended

This takes place right after Cara tells Tobias about how Tris took Caleb's place in the Weapon's Lab in the end of Allegiant.

***********************************

Chapter 1

Tobias

I stand in the doorway and look at Tris' lifeless body laying on the hard, metal table. A sob seems to escape my mouth as I drag myself toward her cold body. I sink to my knees and a shiver runs down my body as I grab her freezing hand.

Tris, my Tris, gave her life for her selfish brother. She deserved to live, and he didn't. My life with Tris flashed before my eyes as I looked at her limp body. The moment she jumped from the roof, all I saw was a blur of grey. Then, I looked into her eyes and felt this heat build up in my chest. This wanting desire to have her, a need to hold her in my arms. Then, I remember the time we went into my fear landscape, and she found out about my real name. She didn't judge me or look at me like a kicked puppy like most people who knew my real name did. She accepted me for who I was, and I knew I was never going to lose that, so I took her to the chasm and kissed her. A pain builds in my chest knowing that I will never feel the spark of her kiss again. Another sob escapes my mouth and racks through my body like an earthquake. I refuse to accept that she is no longer with me.

For how long I was sitting there crying, I don't know, until I hear footsteps squeak on the floor. I look up to see Caleb. I try to control the anger and rage I have towards him, but my body seems to pull itself to him. My calloused hand presses to his throat.

"Four....." Caleb says, as he tries to remove my calloused hand from his now red neck, but my grip is too strong and his attempt fails.

"You're the reason why she's on that metal table! You should have been the one to go into the weapon's lab, not her!" I yell. I've never felt so much hatred toward a single person in all my life. Except David, the one who actually killed Tris. I knew that the next time I saw him, it would be the last time he saw anything.

Caleb winces and I find just enough good in my heart to let him down. I remove my calloused hand from his neck that is now beet red. He gasps for air.

"She wanted me to tell you that she didn't want to leave you," an out of breath Caleb says. It's only then I notice that his eyes are puffy and red with bags sagging beneath them. We stare at each other for minutes, silently.

Then I hear my name, "Tobias,"

The voice sounds strained and like Tris' . It can't be her, she's dead, I just saw her cold, lifeless body.

Believing that the voice I some how imagined in my head, I run out the door and turn at every hallway. Right, left, right, left, right. I finally stop completely out of breath and sink onto the ground. A million thoughts run through my head. More memories make there way into my thoughts. The Ferris wheel, the attack on Abnegation, the arrival at Amity compound, and Tris going to Erudite. Visions of her laughing and smiling with her determined eyes flash through my head. I couldn't help but think about the life we were about to start, the life we could have had together if she hadn't of died. No, I refuse to let myself believe that Tris is actually dead.

I don't know how long I've been sitting here sobbing over my beautiful, courageous Tris when I hear footsteps running through the hallways. Then, I see Caleb out of breath running towards me. He puts his hands on his knees as he comes to a sudden halt in front of me.

How did he find me? He must have followed the sound of sobs.

"She's alive....Four....she's awake." Caleb says.

I stare at him in utter shock. How could she be alive, I just saw her lifeless, still body laying on a metal table. She had no pulse. Or did she? I hadn't checked. I was too caught up in the idea that my Tris could have taken her brothers place in the weapon's lab and died.

Quickly, I press Caleb up against the wall with my forearm and press hard against his windpipe.

"I swear Caleb, you have a death wish, don't you?" I hiss.

"Don't believe me? Go see for yourself."

Before he can say anything else, I am stumbling down the twisting hallways trying to find the previous room I saw Tris in.

After about five minutes of circling, I find the room and approach the door.

I step inside and look at her. My heart skips a beat as I see her beautiful blue, grey eyes stare at me in awe, wide and alive.

"Tobias," she croaks.