Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Tobias

I awake to the sound of squeaking breaks. I open my eyes to find that Will has stopped at the train tracks. It is dark outside and I see the full moon when I look up.

I groggily step out the car after Christina who sat beside me. My footsteps falter for a second, but I quickly regain my balance.

Christina, Will, Caleb, Uriah, and I wait by the tracks for the train to come. Within a few minutes, I see a bright light coming our way. The train whistles in the distance and approaches us fast. As I see the front of the train, I begin to run along side the open cars of the train. I am the first to throw myself into the car. I grab the handle and pull the remainder of my body in.

One by one everyone else makes their way into the car, I help them in, my Abnegation side showing. Will and Uriah must have grabbed all of our supplies. It's not much.

The train lurches to the side and I lose my balance. I decide to sit down on the car floor so that I don't fall out of the car. I lean my head up against the side of the car and relax my shoulders. I close my eyes and the sound of the whirling wind lulls me to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awake to the sound of the train horn blaring. Next to me sits Christina and Will. In front of me are Caleb and Uriah. Everyone is awake except for Uriah. It is still dark outside so it must be early morning.

Christina walks over to Uriah and tries to shake him awake, emphasis on tries. She becomes impatient and decides to kick him in the shins. Uriah wakes up and moans through gritted teeth, gripping his leg. He gives Christina a death glare, and she just shrugs.

Laughing, Christina walks back over to Will's side and sits down, leaning her head on his shoulder. Their hands play with each other's and smiles are spread across their faces. You can tell they are trying to make up for lost time.

My mind begins to drift to Tris. Her beautiful smile, determined eyes, and golden hair.

I am pulled out my thoughts as I see a familiar building in the distance. I stand up and look outside of the car. We are quickly approaching the top of the building we will jump off to get into Dauntless compound.

"We are here," I say, loud enough to hear over the whirling wind. Everyone stands up and the train lurches forward. The roof is now only a couple yards away and I prepare myself to jump. As soon as I see the roof, I propel myself froward. I am weightless for a moment, then my feet slam into the gravel. I manage to keep my balance despite the wind.

I turn around to make sure that everyone landed on the roof. Everyone landed safely. Not everyone landed on their feet, but they landed on the roof. That's all I care about.

Everyone gathers at the edge of the roof, where we know we will have to jump. My palms become extremely sweaty and heart beats fast. I remind myself that I am doing this for her, for Tris.

"Don't scream," I tell the group.

Before I can say anything else, Uriah hurls himself towards the edge of the roof and jumps. He doesn't make a sound.

Good.

Next Caleb, decides to jump. He seems so calm. Has he done this before? This time I can hear his body hit the net.

Christina volunteers to go next, and she runs toward to end of the roof where she jumps.

I don't want to be the last to jump, so I tell Will that I will go. I slowly walk up to the edge of the roof and wipe my sweaty palms off on my pants. I lunge myself forward and plunge through the freezing air. It takes everything inside of me to stifle the scream that forms in my mouth. I don't let it escape.

My body slams into the net and the wind is knocked out of me. I see a hand appear to my left and I reach for it.

I jump off of the net and my breath is heavy. I am panting so hard, I sound like a dog. Then, I hear the net rattle. Uriah puts his hand out to Will, and he gladly excepts it.

Once everyone has their bearings, I led the group to the control room. I grab the gun from my belt loop and turn the safety off. My finger is over the trigger as I open the door to the control room.

I creak the door just enough to see inside and surprisingly, no one sits in front of the large screens.

I signal everybody to come in with me. Uriah and Will stand guard as I quickly disable the cameras through the compound. As I enter one final code, all of the screens go black. I hear a gun go off and realize that Uriah or Will must have shoot someone.

I quickly turn around and run out the room with everyone behind me. My feet take me where I need to go.

The Fear Landscape Room.

I climb up the ladder in the pit that leads to the glass room next to the fear landscape room.

Before I reach the top I see feet walking around in circles. When I look up, I see two guards outside of the room. I pull my gun up.

Inhale. Aim. Exhale. Fire. The gun goes off once. It hits one of the guards directly in the head. I now have the other guard's attention and he pulls his gun on me.

Inhale. Aim. Exhale. Fire. I pull the trigger again and the bullet pierces through the guards abdomen. A pool of blood surround his body. I take a quick look around the room to make sure no one else is coming and signal the group to follow me up the ladder.

"You guys guards while I go in to get Tris." I say, once everyone makes it up the ladder. I have been up hear so many times, that my body knows where to go before I do. I begin to open the door to the fear landscape room and hear gun shots behind me. My head lurches around.

What I see surprises me.

Blood trickling down Caleb's arm. He shoots at his attacker and the guard drops dead. Caleb's gun drops to the floor and he crumples to the ground. Will rushes over to help him. Christina quickly follows behind, while Uriah stands guard.

I have to save Tris. I remind myself over and over again.

I turn the doorknob and burst through the door. My heart stops as I see who sits I front of me.

Tris.

She is beaten to pulp and her hands are shaking. Her left eye is black and swollen. Terror in written all over her face. Her eyes make there way up to mine and a smile finds it's way across her face.

I quickly rush to her side and begin to undo the chains that hold to a chair in the middle of the room. As I am undoing the chains on her feet, she speaks up.

"I knew you would come for me," she says her voice strained and cracked.

I look up at her as I finish undoing the chains and say,"Did you really think I wouldn't?"

Another smile creeps across her face, it is strained, but genuine.

I caress her face with my hands and lean down so that our faces are only inches apart. Electricity charges the air between us. I slowly bring her lips to mine and my body pulses with warmth. Her small arms wrap around my stomach and press into my back. I let go of her face when I hear the creak of a door behind me.

Eric walks out from the observation room and I clench my fists. I hear Tris wince.

"Well, look who came to save his damsel in distress," Eric says with an evil tone of voice.

I can tell this confrontation will not end well. Someone in this room is going to die, and it won't be me or Tris.