Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Tobias

Tris and I stay in each others embrace for countless minutes. One of my hands rubbing the small of her back, and the other playing with her hair. I feel her grip on me tighten when I run my hand along her arm forgetting that she was shot there.

Our embrace gets disrupted by the sound of Cristina running down the hallway.

As soon as Cristina enters the room, she runs up to Tris and tackles her to the ground. Tris moans and Cristina gets up from on top if her. She gives Tris a huge bear hug and Tris winces. As Cristina backs away, I can see tears streaming out of her eyes.

"Caleb told me you were alive and I didn't believe him so I punched him in the nose," Cristina starts, making both me and Tris laugh, "He told me to come see for myself, so I did. I honestly thought he was lying, but I guess not"

Tris now has tears running down her cheeks and she hugs Cristina back. I can tell it hurts her though because her face has pain written all over it.

Cristina and Tris pull apart and are both laughing. I decide to speak up.

"Still in the room here guys." I say.

Cristina punches me in my right arm, and Tris punches me in my left. For being hurt Tris sure does pack a punch.

"Ow!" I say. Both of the girls chuckle.

Ignoring my pain Cristina says," Tris, how are you alive?"

"I don't know," says Tris.

"We should probably go talk to Matthew if he was the one who saved you," I say.

"You guys should go together and I'll be waiting with Caleb and the others to hear about it,ok?" Cristina says.

"Ok," says Tris. Cristina exits the room with a huge grin plastered across her face.

I take Tris' hand and ask her if she's ready to go find Matthew.

"I think so," she says.

I quickly swoop Tris off her feet into my arms. At first she winces, then she starts to laugh and her face lights up with a smile. To think, I may have never seen that smile again. I walk down to where Matthew usually is, with Tris in my arms.

The Genetics Lab.

When I walk in, I set Tris down and look around the room to see Matthew sitting in a chair hunched over wearing glasses neck deep in a book.

"Mmhh," Tris says, trying to get Matthew's attention.

Matthew looks up from his book and takes his glasses off. His face shows an unusual amount of confusion and astonishment, which is not normal for someone like Matthew who always seems to not be confused but just curious. Just like an Erudite.

He slowly gets up from his chair and makes his way toward me and Tris. He runs up to Tris and hugs her, but is careful knowing she suffered extensive

wounds.

"It worked..."He said. What worked?

Tris looks at Matthew with about just as much confusion that I expect I have on my face.

Tris finally decides to speak up, "What worked?"

Matthew begins to explain himself, "I have been working on a new kind of serum that helps to speed the healing process in the human body. It helps rid dead cells and quickly produce new ones, and it contains a chemical that kills bacteria. I didn't think that it would work, but Tris, you're living proof. The healing serum worked so well you can already walk. I would say that it's a miracle but really, it's science."

The gears in my head start to work as I process what Matthew just explained to Tris and I. All I can think is that Matthew saved Tris' life.

I give Matthew a huge hug,which he was not expecting, and to be honest neither was I. My Abnegation side is not used to physical contact, except with Tris.

I pull back and Matthew looks at me with a surprised look in his eyes.

Tris then also gives Matthew a hug and says thank you about a hundred times.

"Thank you, Matthew." I say.

"Your welcome," says Matthew.

Then he turns and puts his head back into his book.