Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Tris

The blackness slowly fades as I hear voices. I recognize the voices, but I can't seem to put names on the people. As they keep talking a name makes it's way into my thoughts, Tobias.

"Tobias," I saw slowly. It's so quiet, I can barely hear it.

Then, I hear footsteps slowly fade away. I try to open my eyes to see who it is, but the effort I have to put in feels like I have to pick up a boulder.

I some how manage to open my eyes and the light blinds me. The smell of antiseptic fills the air and an odd bitter taste is in my mouth.

Bright lights shine into my eyes and I can't see anything until my eyes adjust. The lights feel foreign on my eyes. When my vision clears I see a familiar face.

Caleb.

I try to sit up to hug him, but my body doesn't want to. There's a ringing in my ears and a pain in my abdomen. It feels like a knife is being jammed into my stomach. Caleb quickly runs over to my side and starts to touch my face. It seems like he is trying to decide whether or not I am real. His eyes are extremely red, looking like he had been crying for hours.

I decide to speak, "Caleb? I'm alive, I'm real." I sound like there is a frog I. My throat, but as long as he can hear me, I don't care

He looks at me with disbelief and a single tear runs down his cheek and mine. He starts to hug me and I try to stifle a moan, but it still escapes my mouth.

Caleb quickly let's go and says, "I'm so sorry Beatrice. It's just...you're alive!"

"I know..." I say.

Caleb helps me sit up on the cold, metal table and a pain shoots through my abdomen again. This time, I'm able to hold in the moan, but I still wince.

"Let me go find Four." Caleb says.

As soon as Caleb runs out the door, I lift up my blood stained shirt with a bullet hole in it and look at my abdomen.

There is a hole in my abdomen about the size of a dime and when I poke it, I moan. Who ever took out the bullet must of not patched it up with stitches because blood starts to slowly train down my stomach. After a few seconds, it stops, and so does the pain.

All of a sudden I notice that my right arm hurts as well. I lift up my sleeve and see the same bullet wound in my arm. That explains why I can barely feel my right hand.

Memories of David shooting me quickly disrupts my former train of thought. I remember getting shot once in the abdomen and once in my right arm. I also remember setting off the memory serum and David slowly wheeling out of the room. He must of not inoculated himself before going into the weapon's lab. I was smart enough to inoculate myself, while also being Divergent or "genetically pure", which means I can also resist the memory serum.

Before I passed out from blood loss, I remember seeing my mother. She must have been a hallucination, but it felt so real. She wore the same shirt that she wore when she died.

She asked me if I was ready to leave, but I knew I wasn't. I knew I had to live, for Cristina and Caleb, but for most of all, Tobias. I told her that I wasn't ready that people needed me.

She then left me again and kissed my forehead telling me I did a good job.

Suddenly, I remember Matthew walking in and taking my body. He injected me with some sort of purple, blue serum. Then, I passed out. That was the thing I remember.

My thoughts are disrupted by the sound of feet squeaking on the floor. I look at the door and wait for the person to come in.

Then, I see him. I see my Tobias. My strong, loving, wonderful Tobias. He looks me at me with his big beautiful blue eyes. I can't help but stare back.

"Tobias," I croak.