Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Tris

Tobias looks at me, his face contorted with different emotions. It goes from surprise, to relief, to anger, then to happiness. He quickly runs toward me and picks me up from the table. He swings me around in the air and I wince so he puts me down.

"Tris, you're alive!" Tobias says.

"I know..." Is all I say.

He caresses my face in his hand with his palm on my cheek and his thumb behind my ear. He brings my face to his and kisses me.

Sparks of emotion flow trough my body like electricity. I feel as if nothing is wrong in the world. It's just me and Tobias, and I am safe in his arms.

We kiss for a while until Caleb comes into the room, out of breath.

"Damn, Four! You run so fast!" Says Caleb.

Tobias and I both laugh.

"Maybe you should work out more often Caleb," says Tobias.

Caleb runs over and gives me a quick hug and whispers, "I never wanted anything to happen to you."

Then, he turns around and leaves out the door.

I stand there for a few seconds processing what Caleb just told me.

Does he really love me? Was I wrong that he was going into the weapon's lab to save me not out if guilt but out of love? I decide to talk to Caleb about it later and to use this time to be with Tobias.

I am pulled out of my thoughts as Tobias quickly pulls me into a hug.

"Don't you dare ever scare me like that again, he says. "You're hands were ice cold, I honestly thought that I had lost you forever!"

"Tobias," I start, "I meant what I

said, I never wanted to leave you. I fought for my life in the weapon's lab for you."

He takes my head in his hands and kisses me again.

When he pulls away he starts to speak.

"Tris, I know this is an odd question but how are you alive?"

The question makes me think. How am I alive?

"I don't know." I say, "maybe we should ask Matthew. He was the one who found me in the weapons lab."

Maybe the serum that Matthew injected me with some how saved me.

"Ok," Tobias says, "we can ask him later."

We stand there for a long time just hugging each other, taking in the moment we both thought we would never be able to have again.