Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Tobias

It has been three days since Caleb went into a coma. Tris has been by his bedside everyday. I can tell that she doesn't want to lose him, even after all he has done to her.

I don't know what to feel.

I hate Caleb for everything he has done to her. He should have been the one to go into the weapons lab in the first place, not her. I understand that he is still Tris' bother, but he is a jerk. I feel nothing but hatred towards Caleb.

But, Tris is a wreck. It hurts me to see her like this. My heart breaks into two every time I see her cry. I hate seeing her like this. It takes everything inside of me to not break down when she does, I know I have to be strong for her, to take of her when she can't take care of herself.

Tris and I are sitting by Caleb's bedside when the doctor walks in, his face placid.

"I'm sorry to inform you, Ms. Prior, that today we will have to unplug your brother," he says.

Tris lets out a sob and her body shakes. I hold her close to me and begin to talk to the doctor.

"Can you give us a minute?" I ask.

He nods his head and walks out the doorway.

Tris sobs into my chest. I don't speak, because I know it will just make her even more upset.

After a few minutes, my shirt is soaked and Tris begins to settle down.

"Ok," she whispers so low I can barely hear her, but I understand what she wants me to do.

"I am going to go get the doctor," I tell her. She nods her head and I walk out of the door to go find the doctor. My shoulder still hurts when I walk.

I see the doctor and begin to walk towards him. Halfway there, I am stopped in the middle of a stride by a breathless Matthew.

"What is it?" I ask him, confused.

"The healing serum," he begins, "it only works on GP's." My eyes widen and it all starts to make sense.

Why Caleb was still in a coma and why my shoulder was still extremely painful.

"Thank you, Matthew," I tell him. "You should probably go tell Tris."

"Ok." And with that, Matthew walks into Caleb's room.

I find the doctor a couple yards away and continue my stride. I tap on his shoulder and he turns around.

"She's ready," I say.

He nods his head and gathers two nurses, then walks back to Caleb's room with me.

Tris' eyes are red and puffy when I look at her. Sorrow and astonishment is stricken across her face. Matthew must have told her.

I walk to her side and hold her hand. She squeezes it and I squeeze back.

One of the nurses walks over to Caleb's bedside and begins to talk to Tris, "I am going to take the machine out of your brother that is helping him breath. When I take it out, his heart monitor will stop beating and it will flatline."

She nods her head shakily as tears run down her face. The nurse begins to take the breathing machine out of Caleb, and his heart rhythm slowly fades.

After a few minutes, his chest stops rising and falling and the heart monitor makes one long beep. A straight line goes across the monitor and Tris' grip on my hand tightens.

Caleb is dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tris

Caleb has been dead for two weeks. I have lost every single member of my family, now.

Except for Tobias.

He is my only string of hope. He is the only thing keeping me together, keeping me from falling apart. And if I did fall apart, I know that he would pick up every single piece of me because he loves me and I love him. We fit together like the two final pieces of a puzzle, perfectly.

I am sitting on the couch of the apartment that Tobias and I got together in the bureau. It is very small, with plain white walls and only a few appliances. There is one bedroom where Tobias and I both sleep. Christina and Will also got their own apartment, and Uriah is rooming with Zeke and Shauna. Cara got her own apartment, so did Peter who I found out had erased his memory before coming back to the bureau from his trip to Chicago. Coward.

Tobias sits next to me with his arm wrapped around my shoulder. His other hand plays with my hair, tucking strands behind by ear. I tuck my head into his neck. He smells of metal and sweat, safety.

After a few minutes, I hear a loud knock on the door.

"I'll get it," I tell Tobias.

I slowly get up from the couch and make my way to door. When I open it up, and I see Uriah standing in the doorway. There is a smile on his face, like always.

"Hey, Tris! Can I come in?" Uriah asks, his voice giddy with excitement.

"Sure," I say, confused.

He glides through the doorway with his hands in his pockets.

I close the door and turn around. Uriah is giving Tobias a hug.

I giggle. It has been weeks since I last smiled. "Whatcha guys doing there?" I say.

Uriah spins around on his heals and his face turns beet red. Tobias begins to chuckle,"Nice to see you too, Uri."

I walk over to Tobias' side and grasp his hand in mine.

Uriah begins to speak again, "I just came over to ask you guys if you wanted to come over to my place tonight. There's going to be a 'small' get together." He makes air quotes when he says small.

Tobias and I both giggle because we know that when Uriah throws a "get together', it's never small.

Tobias whispers something into my ear, "Come on, Tris. We should go, it'll be good for you to get out of this apartment." My ear tickles when he finishes talking.

Uriah looks at us with anticipation.

"Fine," I mutter. Uriah grins ear to ear, and gives me a hug.

He rushes out of the room, seeming scared that I might change my mind, and shouts one more thing before closing the door, "Be there, or be a pansycake!" He slams the door shut, and I can hear his footsteps scuffling down the hallway.

Tobias and I start to crack up. Classic Uriah, always has to get in the last laugh.

After a couple minutes of laughing, we go to sit back down on the couch, and begin to fall asleep in each other's arms. I have a feeling I'm not going to be getting a lot of sleep tonight, so I better catch up now. And with that, I drift off into a dreamless sleep.