Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Tobias

How is Tori alive? Tris told me that she died during the ambush on our way here. Tori looks up at me, her face stricken with what looks like astonishment.

She is looking my way, but her eyes aren't directed at me. Her eyes are looking at something, or someone, behind my shoulder. I turn on my heals to see a wide eyed George staring at his sister. A cross between a moan and a screech escapes Tori's mouth. I can see her pinching her thigh through the fabric of her black jeans, probably to make sure that what she is seeing is real.

I quickly move out of the path between Tori and her bother. When I turn around to catch a glimpse of George's expression, tears of joy and relief stream down his very pale face.

Tori stumbles over to her brother, where she embraces him into a monstrous hug which he returns. They stand in the same position for several moments before eventually letting each other go.

I look over to Tris and see her eyes glisten with tears. They look as if they may spill over and flow until she no longer has water in her body. In that moment, I realize she is thinking of her brother and lace her small, skinny fingers in mine. She lifts her head up to look at me showing me that she is okay. I see the tears that were once in her eyes begin to subside, and the tense muscles in my shoulders relax.

I am pulled out of my daze by the sound of Tori's voice, "How are you alive?" her voice cracks at every syllable , and I can tell she in straining to get the words out of her mouth.

"Well," George begins, preparing himself for the long explanation coming ahead. "It all started on the day of the aptitude test. The woman who administered my test was Tris' mom, Natalie Prior. After the test, she explained to me how I was Divergent, with an equal aptitude for Erudite and Dauntless, and that I couldn't tell anybody about it. After you and I joined Dauntless, during the second stage if training, the leaders became suspicious of me being Divergent since I could manipulate the simulations. One day, Tris' mom secretly came to visit me. I explained to her how I thought the leaders were suspicious of me and she told me to make it obvious that I was Divergent so that she could stage an accident and blame it on the Dauntless leaders. She wanted to seem like the leaders had killed me since I was Divergent. So, on the day of the fear landscape I showed off so that the leaders would know for sure that I was Divergent. Later that night, Natalie came to the compound with a fake body and told me to discretely throw it over the chasm, then meet her outside the compound. I wanted to say goodbye to you, to tell you that I was alive, but she told me that it was too dangerous for both of us, and I couldn't let you get hurt. When I met her outside the compound, she had a truck and drove me outside the fence here to the bureau. I'm so sorry Tori, I desperately wanted to tell you, but I didn't want you to get hurt."

Tori stares blankly into George's eyes processing the stunning information she was told. George looks at her impatiently waiting for any kind of sign or response. After a few seconds, anger spreads across Tori's pale face and her palm collides with George's cheek.

George winces and holds his cheek which is now turning a deep red. Tris and I look at each other in confusion trying to decipher Tori's reaction.

"Don't you ever do that again!" Tori yells at her brother.

"Alright I won't," George defends, putting his hand in the air in mockingly.

Tori unexpectedly smiles and playfully punches George's arm. They must had been very close before George "died."

Tris squeezes my hand tightly, and I squeeze back in response.

Tori looks over to Tris and I and her expression quickly changes from ecstatic to frightened in a blink of an eye. It looks as if she remembered something.

Tori then begins to speak, "I came here to talk to you Tris, and Four, for a reason."

A part of me doesn't want to hear what Tori had to say because I can't handle any more bad news, while another part of me is curious as to what is running through Tori's Erudite born mind.

"While I was still in the hospital," she starts, "I overheard some of the leaders of the bureau talking about the experiments -,"

"What? I thought they lost their memories," Tris disrupts.

"Apparently not. Some of them have been faking that they lost their memories so that they could still control some of the other experiments." Tori hisses. She continues, "Back to what I was saying before, I overhead them talking about how the other experiments are starting to fall apart, like Chicago. They plan on resetting all of the other experiments I'm order to prevent them shattering like ours did."

I look over to Tris and see anger in her eyes. I can tell that she is going to do something, that's just the way she is. Her Abnegation side is a lot stronger than mine, Tris would risk her life for the sake of a stranger. I adore that side if her, but I don't want to lose her. Not again.

Tori begins to speak again, "And if things couldn't get any worse, people who are supposed to be dead are started to show up out of no where, and I know how."

Tori's words make the gears begin to work in my head. How was Eric alive? Are other people I thought were dead alive also?

"The leaders were talking about a new experiment they started. In the experiment, they removed genes from a person that is dead and genetically engineered a human body to look and act exactly the same way the original person did along with inserting all the memories the person ever had." Tori says.

My stomach is now sitting in my throat and I can feel Tris tighten her grip on my sweaty hand.

"How is that possible? How can they get all the memories a person ever had?" I ask Tori.

"I don't know, right now, but we need to find out. All I know right now, is that they need the body to be able to do it." she says.

Tris looks up at me in disbelief and I can see beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

If this is true, then that means that they can make another Eric if they wanted to. They can also make another Jeanine and any other person they wanted.

I need more information. And there is only one person I know that could help us.

Matthew.

***********************************

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in so long! I know this is a really sucky chapter, but I've been really busy this week, with school. I promise I will try to post more often! I hope you guys liked this chapter! Please Vote, Comment, Share, and Follow!

I will post more as soon as I can!

Thank you!

-Divergent_fan13