Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Tris

I awake to the sound of a door creaking open. When I open my eyes, I see Eric walk in to the room with a syringe full of orange liquid. I cringe once I realize what the serum is.

The Simulation Serum.

Eric glides toward me with a grimace on his face. I try to resist his hand as it touches my neck, but he is stronger than I am at the moment.

I have to be stronger than him. I barely feel the needle as he presses the plunger down into my neck. I begin to imagine the serum as liquid adrenaline flowing through my veins, making me stronger. My mind drifts for a moment remembering the first time I was in my fear landscape.

It is the last thought in my mind before the simulation takes me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and stand in the middle of a field. I know what is going to happen. My heart begins to pound and it is pointless to try and slow the rhythm.

The wind howls in my ears, and I began to hear the familiar sound of birds. The crows appear in the air and swarm around me. They peck at my head, my neck, and all around my body. I scream out in agony as their talons begin to dig into my shoulder.

I lye on the field of grass and let my hand feel through the grass.

The gun.

I feel something metal appear under my palm and quickly grab it. I point into the air and begin to fire. I don't aim, I just shoot.

One by one the crows fall to ground and the scene changes.

Now, I am in the glass box. I see the fluorescent lights hanging above the box, and know that I am in the pit. Water pours into the box faster than I remember. I pound on the glass, but it doesn't budge. The water is up to my waist now.

Ice.

I picture the glass as ice and tap on it.

A crack.

I see a small crack appear in the glass. I tap on it again and another crack appears. One more tap and the glass shatters. The water, that was up to my shoulders, lulls me forward.

The scene changes again.

The chasm. The rush of the waves thrashes me around. I try to grab on to a large rock, but my hand slips. I am thrashed up against another rock, and I feel blood trickle down the side of my face. I grab a better hold of the rock and pull my body upwards. The weight of the current tries to lull me back in, but my grip is too strong. I manage to pull myself on the top of the rock, and I start to run. I turn my head slightly and notice the bright red sun, and the ocean is now gone.

As I turn my head back around, I come to a halt. I try to keep running, but I realize my hands are tied behind me onto a pole. In front of me stands my enemies like Peter, Jeanine, and Eric. I also see some of friends and family including Christina, Uriah, and...Caleb.

They all hold torches in their hands. Peter walks over to me with a grimace on his face and pushes the torch to my feet.

"Smell that, Stiff? That's the smell of your burning flesh." Peter hisses.

I can feel the fire on my toes and let out a wince. I can't let the simulation control me. I am stronger than that.

"You know what I smell, rain." I say proudly.

I can see clouds start to form over the top of us and a single raindrop falls on my cheek. It starts to pour and the fire is put out. Peter disappears and I am no longer on the pole.