Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Tris

As Matthew walks back over to his desk to read his book, Tobias and I turn around and leave, hand in hand.

We slowly walk down the hallway in silence and make our way back to the dorms.

After a long silence I decide to speak up, "Tobias?" I ask, leaning my head on his shoulder. He puts his head on top of mine and says, "yes Tris?"

"You know I love you, right?"

He comes to a sudden stop and removes his hand from mine. He caresses my face in his hands and leans his forehead to mine.

"Of course, Tris. And I will always love you, no matter what," he says.

"Then promise me you will never leave me?" I say. A part of me doesn't want to hear his answer, afraid that he'd say that if another girl who was actually pretty came along, he would leave me.

Tobias looks me straight in the eye and says, "Never." A feeling of relief and joy floods through my body. He really does love me, doesn't he?

Tobias then places his hand back in mine and we continue down the hallway to the dorms. When we arrive, I come to halt and try to figure out what I am going to tell everybody. I could tell them that I miraculously lived because of Matthew's new serum, but they probably wouldn't believe me. I decide to tell them that my bullet wounds weren't as bad as people thought, and that I was in a coma. My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Tobias' voice.

"Are you ready?" he asks.

I reply with a nod. I tighten my grip on Tobias' hand and slowly turn around the corner.

As soon as I enter, I feel a dozen eyes staring at me. Caleb, Cristina, Cara, Zeke, Shauna, and...Uriah?

I can feel my eyes widen at the site of him. I let go of Tobias' hand and quickly run towards him. I give him a huge hug and he returns the favor. I am the first to let go.

"How are you alive?" I ask him.

"I think the better question here is, how are you alive?" Uriah says.

"My bullet wounds weren't as bad as the doctors thought and I was in a coma for about a day." I say. Tobias looks at me with confused eyes. He suddenly realizes why I didn't want to tell anybody about the serum, the look is quickly wiped off his face, and is returned with his former look of happiness.

Uriah then starts to tell me the reason why he is standing in front of me instead of lying on a table lifeless, "On the day the doctor's were about to pull the plug on my life support, I some how woke up," Uriah says.

"It was the day we thought you died," Zeke says, to me, I figure.

I turn around and give Zeke a quick hug. When I let go he gives me a quick smile.

When I turn around, Cara looks as if she is examining me, curious as to how I am alive standing before her. She bites the nail on her right pointer finger. Her left pointer finger pushes the glasses she wears up to her eyes.

Once an Erudite, always an Erudite.

Cara's face quickly goes from curious to confused in a matter of seconds. She looks at me like I defied some law of science. Little does she know, I did.

"Nice to see you Cara," I start.

Cara is torn out of her trance by my words and says, "You too, Prior. I never thought I would see you again."

Then I notice Shauna and shoot her a smile. She smiles in return.

I go back to stand by Tobias' side and take his hand. I give it a quick squeeze and he squeezes back.

Cristina starts to mumble something and I look at her. I can't quite make out what she is saying. She is looking at the door in what looks like disbelief.

"Cristina, are you ok?" I ask.

All she does is point to the door. I turn around and look at the person standing in the doorway.

The person I see is a familiar boy who looks my age with blonde, shaggy hair and green eyes. His face is abnormally pale, and he has a crease between his eye brows. The boy is small, but solid and has huge hands.

I know who he is, and I never thought I would ever she him again.

Will.