Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Tris

My hands tremble as I hold the paper in my hands. I keep trying to process the information that is in in my hands. Jeanine is alive and she has Matthew. I keep repeating the words through my head as I storm out of the Genetics lab.

I hear shuffling feet behind me and I know that Tobias is quickly walking to catch up to me. I nearly fall as his hand slides around my arm. I yank my arm free of his grip but turn around to look up at him. His eyes look determined and his left hand is clenched so hard that it is turning blue.

"Tris-" he starts, but I interrupt him before another word can flow out of his mouth.

"I know what you are going to say, and I am not staying here. I am going to go back to Chicago!" I yell.

Tobias crosses his arms in front of his chest and his eyebrows furrow when I look up to meet his deep blue eyes.

"You are not leaving me again. You are not going to repeat what happened when you left to go to the Erudite compound in the middle of the night," He retorts. "I am not going to let you go on yet again another suicide mission when you have so much to live for."

A sudden rush of anger pours through my veins. I hardly think before I begin to speak.

"So much to live for?" I begin, a slight laugh making it's way out of my mouth.

"Tobias, everyone in my family is dead. Dead. Everyone I meet or become friends with or even wave to, don't wake up the next morning. Everyone I know ends up dead by morning."

Then it hits me. All of my family is dead. The sudden realization causes me to lose my balance, but I quickly regain it.

"Tris, you have no idea how much you mean to the people you meet. You have made such a great mark, that you have become the kind of person people would die for, including me," Tobias shouts but still sounding compassionate.

"I don't want to be the kind of person people would die for, Tobias. I want to be the kind of person who would die for them."

When Tobias looks at me, I can't tell whether he is angry, mad or proud.

"You don't think I know that? Tris, the entirety of me knowing you has revolved around you risking your life to save others."

His words have no effect on me. No matter what Tobias says, I know that I am going to Erudite to save Matthew.

I crumble the piece of paper and put it into the pocket of my dark blue jeans.

"I am going to Chicago," I turn around and began to stride down the long hallway. Tobias walks beside me and keeps pleading me not to go.

"Tris, you do have people to live for. You have Christina and Will and Uriah and most of all me. You have me and I will always be there for you," I stop in my tracks and turn around to Tobias.

"I love you so much. But if you love me, then you know that this is what I have to do. Not only for Matthew, but for me. I have to kill Jeanine."

The last words flow out of my mouth like venom, pouring from the tongue of a snake.

"And if you love me, you will stay here and not go to Chicago. It's a suicide mission and you know it."

Tobias' voice drops as he says the last sentence. It hurts so much inside to know how much I mean to Tobias and how much it would kill him if I left him forever.

"I know," I say and continue to walk down the hallway. I finally make it to our apartment and grab what little I have. Tobias continues to try to stop me as I throw my belongings into a small backpack like bag.