Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Tris

I rush through the doors to enter the bureau with Christina, Uriah, Will, Tobias, and Caleb behind me. Will carries Caleb who is still unconscious, but barely alive. Tobias wobbles with Uriah supporting him. He lost a lot if blood after he was shot.

On the way here, I removed the bullet from Tobias' shoulder with a knife and my bare hands. I wrapped a piece of cloth around his shoulder to help stop the bleeding. He needs stitches though, because the wound is still bleeding slightly.

We run down to the Genetics lab where Matthew usually is. Tears are still streaming down my face at the thought that Caleb, the only family member I have left, may die. I can't lose him, not today, not now.

Adrenaline pumps through my blood as I continue to stammer down the hallways, my feet nearly giving out beneath me. I can hear every one of my footsteps as they squeak on the slippery floor.

When we finally reach the Genetics Lab, I stumble through the doorway.

Matthew sits behind his desk, and looks up as my feet squeak on the floor. His eyes grow wide as he sees me and smiles. He gets up from him desk runs to hug me. I wince as his arms wrap around my body. He pulls back and looks behind me.

A shocked expression crosses his face.

"Matthew, Caleb needs the healing serum," I yell at him.

I watch as Matthew processes the information. A few seconds later, he turns around and quickly runs over to a small fridge-like compartment. He opens it up and inside lies the same purple, blue serum that saved my life.

The healing serum.

Matthew takes a large syringe out of a small drawer and puts the serum into it.

Quickly, he rushes to Caleb puts the needle into his neck. He slowly pushes the plunger down, after a few seconds, all of the serum is working through Caleb's body. I imagine the liquid flowing through Caleb's blood stream, healing him, bringing him back to me.

Matthew begins to speak, "The serum should begin to work immediately."

A smile spreads across my face. At this moment, I don't think about the Caleb delivered me to my own execution, I think about the Caleb that risked his life for mine twice. The Caleb that I never knew existed until this moment. I can't lose him now that I know who he really is. Intelligent, selfless, and brave.

Tobias stumbles to side and wraps his uninjured arm around the small of my back. Matthew takes one look at Tobias and I, then runs back to the machine that holds the healing serum. He takes out two of the serums and syringes and comes over to us.

"May I?" He asks. Tobias and I both nod our heads.

Matthew tucks a strand of hair around my ear, and sticks the needle into my skin on my neck. He pushes the plunger down slowly and the serum feels like ice running through my veins. He pulls the needle out.

Then, he sticks the needle into Tobias' neck and presses the plunger down. He pulls the needle out and smiles at both if us.

Tobias' grip around my back tightens as his feet give out beneath him for a second. I put my arm around his waist to help support him. He gives me a silent thank you with his big blue eyes.

I thank Matthew and give him a hug before leaving with the rest of the group following.

We bring Caleb to the infirmary where a nurse greets us.

"Hello," she says with a sweet voice. She looks behind us, and her eyes widen. When she sees that Caleb was shot, she quickly gets a doctor. The nurse brings Caleb into a room, and won't let me in. She slams the door in my face as I hear commotion begin in the room.

My eyes are dry. I have officially run out of tears.

Tobias sits with me outside of Caleb's room. Everyone else decides to go back to the dorm. They give me their best wishes before they leave.

When Christina hugs me, she whispers something into my ear.

"Everything will be alright Tris," she whispers in a calm voice.

When we let go if each other, she gives me a reassuring smiles and leaves holding Will's hand, Uriah walking behind them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It has been hours since I last saw the nurse who took Caleb. Tobias and I sit in the chairs outside of Caleb's room, hand in hand.

I rest my head on his uninjured shoulder and sigh.

After the nurse took Caleb into his room, another nurse came by and stitched Tobias' bullet wound.

It's weird, his bullet wound didn't look like it was healing like my face was. I could feel the swelling in my eye and check starting to fade. My entire body was no longer sore with lactic acid.

I am pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of the nurse's voice.

"Are you the patient's sister?" She asks me.

"Yes," I reply, my voice shaking.

"Before I give you any information, may I ask what his name is?"

"Caleb Prior," I say.

The nurse begins to speak again, but her facial expression changes from joyful to placid in a matter if seconds. My heart stops for a second, awaiting the news to come.

"I am sorry to inform you that your brother has gone into a coma, and may never wake up," she says, her voice cracking at every syllable.

My heart sinks to the floor and my stomach is in my throat. A sob escapes my mouth and Tobias hold me tight.

I bury my face into his chest, not knowing what to do.

And to think, Tobias and I thought that we would be able to restart our lives together.

Well look where that ended up.

***********************************

Thank you for reading!!

I will update after I receive 750 reads and 85 votes!!

Comment!

Vote!

Read!

Share!!